1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reasons for leaving

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by GirlGremlin, Jan 16, 2020.

1. GirlGremlin

GirlGremlin Occasional commenter

So a job has come up at a local school that I want to apply for.
    I don't mind the school I am working for at the moment, but truth be told I just get a bit bored working at the same place after about 3 years.
    Just wondering what reasons I could give for the application without being rude, or leaving things awkward if I don't get it? It is the same distance roughly, the post is for the same subject, and same level of responsibility...

2. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

You just feel it's time to move on and broaden your experience of different schools. You could add that you have a view to try for a SLT role in the future and the wider experience would be beneficial to that aim. (Blimey, I've been retired nearly two years and didn't realise I could still bullsh *t like that!)

3. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Just wondering why you feel you wouldn't be 'bored' in that job, if it's the same role/type of school etc? Use that as your reason (politely!) if there is a difference (for example, you want to teach more A-level), but if there is no such difference, after a week or two, wouldn't you be in the same situation? It's just that I wonder, from reading your post, if you would prefer more of a change, perhaps a slightly different role? That would certainly be seen as a 'good' reason for a move-not that there is anything wrong with wanting to remain a 'normal' classroom teacher-good for you, if that's what you want!

sbkrobson likes this.
  4. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

In which case tell them you really love it there but the other place offers various opportunities which your current school cannot with the best will in the world provide.
    Research the new school and find something which is not there in your current one-nice library, more sixth form variety, different subject syllabus,whatever. Name that thing very precisely. Because the chances are that your HT and senior staff are completely familiar with how neighbouring schools function,and they'll feel as if rather than losing a member of staff, they are actually having a nice chat about another school,something they don't get to do that often. You might even get some more information on that school if they're feeling discursive. They will possibly know the HT and some of the staff too.
    If you don't get the job,no worries. You've told them you love your place at the moment,and you can therefore tell them actually you're relieved.
    I'll be honest, if you just fancy the job because it's close and the same sort of thing, you'll be up against other candidates who want that job because they really really like that school especially. So you'll need to come up with something concrete which has wowed you if you get as far as interview.
    Your opening post is a bit "meh" about the whole prospect, although I realise that the seed of a plan is not the same as drafting an application to impress.

Edit-just saw previous post,which is in part pretty similar to how I was thinking

5. GirlGremlin

That's very fair - I actually like the school I am in at the moment a lot, but am in a 2 man department. My boss and me! So it gets a bit lonely, and never quite replicates a normal working relationship, as there is always the power imbalance. We are pretty isolated from the rest of the school so we only see each other and it gets a bit much... So in reality I wouldn't move if it was a bigger team... I'm just started to get a bit of cabin fever! You are right though, I'm not sure if that's reason enough to want to move...

6. GirlGremlin

So in a super weird twist of fat it was announced this morning that the school I was thinking of applying too has become part of our academy trust! Guess the application is off the cards now...

Shedman likes this.
  7. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

If the other school is nearer where you live, can you claim 'green' reasons for wanting to move? (Along with others).

8. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Ouch! That sounds painful. I've got plenty of fat that can be twisted but most of it's round my ar *e.

sbkrobson likes this.
  9. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Why does the announcement mean your application is off the cards? I don't follow.

10. lynneseptember

lynneseptember Senior commenter

Might it be possible that as the school you were thinking of applying to has now become part if your academy there might be an opportunity for you to spend some time teaching there. I say this because applicants to one of my former schools, which is part of an academy chain, are told that they may spend time in different schools within the chain as part of their contract. This might work out quite well for you in the end.

11. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

If you do decide to apply, and need to think of a reason for leaving, this could help.

http://bit.do/Clickk

Best wishes