1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reasons for leaving last school.

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by banoffeepie11, Aug 19, 2016.

1. banoffeepie11

banoffeepie11 New commenter

I'm considering signings a settlement agreement to avoid bullying dressed up as a capability issue.

However I'm stuck for answers to the....Why did you leave your last teaching position?

Obviously I don't want to raise flags about my teaching by mentioning capability measures or going down the bullying route which though true just unsettles me and stresses me out.

But what are plausible reasons for leaving without having another job in the pipeline.

I want to write something that is believable. Something I can believe in and get behind at an interview without feeling I'm fibbing. The last thing I want to do is trott out some weak reason and then end up 'fessing up about problems at my last school.

2. wanet

wanet Star commenter

But i suspect that if the new school asks has there been a settlement agreement from your old school then they will find out.

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I wrote something linked to why I wanted the post at the next school.
    So something like "To return to teaching in a village school" or "Experience KS1 in a different setting" or "Have the opportunity to lead XYZ"

So look at the next post you apply to and give that as a reason. If you get your skates on, you may well have a new post for Sept and so no break in service.

If you do end up with a break in service, do something really useful or exotic in the time and then give that as your reason.

Dragonlady30 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

"To seek alternative career development" was my stated reason for leaving a long-held head of subject post for supply teaching, when the truth was I was sick to death of my last school's oppressive style of leadership.

Dragonlady30 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Fresh fields. Pastures new.

New challenge.

Closer to home.

Closer to family.

Closer to hobby. (Er, after-school ice-skating???)

Larger school.

Smaller school.

Tailor it and then MAKE yourself believe in it.

7. caterpillartobutterfly

There is a thread from not all that long ago, where Theo answered this with some ideas and with reasons NOT to use the ones most of us amateurs think sound perfectly plausible.

I'll see if I can find it, but if the hockey gets exciting, it might not happen.

8. caterpillartobutterfly

Here you go, two more to add to the one from @Rott Weiler
    Use all three to decide what you write in the end.
    Reference Issues
    Ready to start again, reasons for leaving

My first school after leaving with a SA was a temporary post and they must have asked for a reference from hell hole primary. They didn't mention anything about it being an agreed one and I never told them anything. It just never came up.

The next school I applied to, I didn't need to use the hell hole head as a referee because I had the head from the temporary post and a second referee. However, for various reasons, I have told the head of this second school about the troublesome time (understatement of the century) and he knows it was an agreed reference. He has nothing but sympathy and concern.

{Should just mention something you may want to consider. The legal person who sorted out the SA suggested I have a clause saying something like "X can disclose the existence of this SA and the terms within it to a new SLT should it be appropriate to do so." I thought he was mad at the time (as if I was ever going to tell anyone that!) but it turned out to be a good idea after all. You may want something similar, just in case.}

notsonorthernlass likes this.