1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reasonable salary in Kuala Lumpur

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by taffyboy, May 8, 2008.

1. grandslam2005

grandslam2005 New commenter

Wise choice Caroline 77. I went for interview with this school and their recruitment policy is seriously flawed. My partner and I were invited for interview and then half way though the interview I was told that the school does not employ couples!!!

There were no job descriptions and when they said they offered a competitive package that was a blatant lie.

There are a number of schools in KL and some are advertising jobs at the moment and the packages are good as well!

2. Can you give me some hint as to which school you are talking about? Is it one of those recommended by Allo Expat Malaysia?
    Thanks

3. grandslam2005

grandslam2005 New commenter

The school is advertising on the teachanywhere website. It is not in KL but outside in Melaka. Salary is not stated but accomodation allowance is and it is 2500 per month.

4. Is the AS school one of the two you mention?

5. BondStreetBabe

BondStreetBabe New commenter

Now that the new school year has started, updates would be very helpful - salaries/general package details please. Especially if you happen to work on JB.

6. With reference to the enquiry about the school that numerically follows 10 A, DON'T DON'T DON'T.
    The salary they offer you will be one of the lowest in Malaysia, added to this you will find yourself on the highest tax rate in Malaysia, you will soon see that your monthly salary will show all sorts of weird deductions. To further reduce the miserly sum they give you. If you have children they will tell you that they will give you 80% reduction in school fees, what they won't tell you (until you get there) is that you will have to pay three times as much again in miscellaneous fees which they will of course deduct from your salary at source.
    The school itself is way out in the sticks, there is some housing near it, but the monthly rental would be three times your salary, the only affordable housing is about a 90 minute drive away and you will spend a small fortune on road tolls.
    They will continually make all sorts of deductions from your salary, one particular month i had RM 100 (20 GBP) for photocopying my passport, when I queried this I was told that I had to pay for the time of the office staff!!
    Just ask yourself one question, why do none of the international staff ever renew their contracts.
    If you enquire with the Ministry of Education you will find that this school is the most complained about in Malaysia, the school retain a solicitor full time whose only role is to represent them at the industrial courts
    Malaysia is a great place to live and work, as long as you give this place as wide a berth as possible.

7. So if the 10 A school is to be avoided as recommended, then does anyone have anything to add about the newish British place that seems to be expanding over the next couple of years. I've heard very good things from some locals but would anyone care to add anything else in the way of salary, housing allowance, management attitude, facilities etc...much appreciated!!

8. BondStreetBabe

BondStreetBabe New commenter

'exuk' - do your comments refer to all branches of this school? Can you say anything about the one in a new green area?

9. The one in the new green area is their 'Flagship school' I would say the flag it should be flying is the skull and crossbones!
    If you want detailed info add me as a friend.

10. If you are talking about the one that is in the city itself, and not in a green area then yes I have heard great things about it! To be honest there are some great schools in Malaysia, most schools take education seriously. The only bad apple is the group that follows !0 a with the worst of that group being in the green area.

11. MrDoc

MrDoc New commenter

There is a range of international schools in Malaysia. Some are local schools that offer an international curriculum, some have a few expat teachers and some are staffed almost entirely by expats. Tuition fees vary considerably as a result of the different staff profiles (local staff are paid much less than expat staff). To assess the potential expat salary, check out the school website for the proportion of expat to local teachers. Notwithstanding the above, almost all of the schools are serious about education, which is highly valued in Malaysia. There is a strong British preference among Malaysians so IGCSE and A levels are still seen as the benchmark, unlike the increasing hegemony of IB in Singapore. There are a number of new and newish schools and others are due to open in the next few years. Most are worth consideration.

12. sorry, did not mean to include the quote.
    Can i mention male trailing spouses in Malaysia. Little or no chance of working legally.