1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reasonable salaries and sociable hours?

Discussion in 'Independent' started by dts, Dec 9, 2019.

1. dts

dts Occasional commenter

In my part of the country, there seems to be a pretty even divide between two groups of independent schools. The first group tend to be small, and they're generally fairly friendly places to be, but because of financial pressures resources are limited, and salaries are very low (much lower than state sector). The second group are bigger, longer-established, and have lots of money. However, they expect to own their staff, with multiple late evenings and weekend work - so even though the salary is higher, the hourly rate is no better.

Has anyone found an independent that manages to combine a reasonable salary with a working week that isn't 60 hours plus?

2. drvs

drvs Star commenter

No, but I've found a large one that is trying to own its staff while paying below state sector salaries. Off soon.

MrsBridgewater, ajrowing and dts like this.
  3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

@dts, I think we may live/work in a similar part of the country. It's exactly the same here.
    I'm in the first group at the moment...earning peanuts, but have a reasonable work/life balance.
    I'd love the teaching facilities and pay and conditions of the larger, richer preps, but not the hours. (Though these could be balanced by more non-contact time in the day, not sure.)

sabrinakat and dts like this.
  4. dts

dts Occasional commenter

Thanks both - I suspected I might see answers along these lines! I can't see myself going back into the state sector even with a big pay rise, so the unicorn hunt will have to continue for now.

5. snowfairy

snowfairy New commenter

I earn the same as I would in the state sector in a small independent school. The school day is 45mins longer than a lot of the state schools but I'm only expected to stay late once every couple of weeks or so with no weekend or boarding duties. Feel exceptionally lucky to have found where I am so fingers crossed things remain as they are!