1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reasonable PM Targets when going on maternity leave

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by curlcurlcurl, Sep 16, 2019.

1. curlcurlcurl

curlcurlcurl Occasional commenter

I'm due to go off on maternity leave at xmas and we're currently setting new targets for performance management. I will be eligible for the next point on the UPS school at the end of the academic year so my targets still have to be somewhat challenging in order to meet this.

However, in the context of only being at work for one term, what is a 'reasonable target'? I've been told we will simply set things that are appropriate for a term's work. Considering I won't be there to see exam classes through till the end etc. what would a reasonable target be?

Also, as I will be off during pay reviews next year, does this mean I will lose out on the opportunity to move up the scale?

2. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

It would be illegal to deny you pay progression because you were off on maternity. Targets should be achievable during the time period you are there, and when considering progression a wider time frame should be considered.
    See https://neu.org.uk/advice/understanding-pay-progression Most pertinent bit copied below:

Teachers on maternity or extended sick leave or otherwise absent during the period
    The DfE’s pay advice confirms that such teachers are entitled to consideration for pay progression in the same way as other teachers, whether or not they have returned to service at the date of the annual pay determination. In such cases, however, it is particularly likely that appraisal reviews may not have been completed and the governing body may not have any reviewer’s recommendation to consider.

The NEU therefore advises that pay decisions should be taken by reference to such information as is available. This might include information from the most recent appraisal review or any part of the appraisal period when the teacher was present.

Failure to consider progression in this way could clearly constitute less favourable treatment on the basis of gender or disability and leave the governing body open to complaints of unlawful direct discrimination.

curlcurlcurl, bonxie and FrankWolley like this.
  3. curlcurlcurl

curlcurlcurl Occasional commenter

Thank you, this is really useful. I was wondering what would happen with a lack of an end of year statement on mine/appraisers part but this definitely clarifies things.