1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reason for leaving??

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Figmo, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Figmo

Figmo New commenter

Hi everyone,

I have been at my current school since Easter last year and HATE IT. Very weak management, disorganised and behaviour is comparable to that of a PRU with no support and little sanctions for on occasion threatening and violent behaviour! It's a madhouse and our Ofsted inspection last term came back as Inadequate.

I've given it my best shot for the kids but after nearly a year admit defeat, t's impacting on me too negatively and infecting my personal life and general happiness.

I found a new job to apply for, September start. Happy with this so I can finish off my Year 11s before I go. The question is- what do I put as my reason for leaving? Obviously I can't just slate my school but as I'm applying before I've even completed a year they are bound to ask questions regarding this.

Been wracking my brains, any ideas? All input appreciated.

Thank you my friends and colleagues!

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  2. snowfairy

snowfairy New commenter

Does the school you're applying for offer anything different like a sixth form etc? If so you can put that down. Or else theres the pretty catch it all statement of "career progression"

3. Figmo

Figmo New commenter

Thank you for your reply :)

No Sixth Form and it's not career progression (actually a small pay cut!)

4. EvaAeri

EvaAeri New commenter

Hi! I have left my previous school for the very same reasons- you’re right, avoid being negative about the previous school. Be honest instead; say that the school wasn’t/isn’t a good fit for your teaching style.

Maybe you enjoy enquiry based, creative teaching which stretches all students and you feel that your lessons must be very teacher -led to ensure some order in the classroom. I have said that and everyone was very understanding.

I’ve read somewhere (might have been on TES but I’m not sure), that you should sound like you’re running towards something, not away from something. So maybe something along the lines of ‘seeking a school where I could offer inquiry-based, student-led teaching experience which inspires and challenges all students...’? TBH, unless you killed a colleague, assaulted a child or fixed the exam results, no one really cares ;)

Figmo likes this.
  5. Figmo

Figmo New commenter

Great advice that I'm totally going to take on board. Thanks so much, truly appreciated x

agathamorse likes this.
  6. Progressnerd

Progressnerd Occasional commenter

From my experience I don't think schools ever ask why you are leaving your current school. Everyone they choose to interbint is likely to be leaving a current school. True, it probably isn't often that candidates haven't even done a year at their current school but probably not that uncommon any more.

I'm at my third school in 5 years - I joined my current school in January so I was worried someone might ask why I was leaving half way through a year but it simply never came up. They want to know why you want to come to their school. To be honest there's a massive elephant in the room at teaching interviews. On some level they must know you didn't want to be at your old school any longer. Occasionally that will be due to location but more often than not they'll know you just weren't happy there any more for whatever reason. It's why anyone moves jobs.

7. joany

joany New commenter

I think they are unlikely to ask at interview but some application forms have this on the employment history section. Whilst I would usually advocate honesty I think on this occasion the advice about looking for a positive in a new place is better. Also - if it's a local school then everyone will know the situation anyway and won't be surprised that you are leaving.

agathamorse likes this.