1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reason for leaving

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Mermaid7, Aug 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Mermaid7

Mermaid7 Occasional commenter

I left a teaching job at Feb half term following horrendous workplace bullying at a MAT school, which caused me severe anxiety and depression. My union rep’s advice was “tough it out” and I tried but I wasn’t strong enough. I have done some supply and now starting to apply for jobs - the application forms ask me to state reason for leaving.
    Can anyone please advise on what reason I should state? What could possibly be a good reason to leave a UPS job to go on supply? I’m scared I’ve made myself unemployable after over 20 years in the profession.

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  2. Teacherinneed969

Teacherinneed969 New commenter

More flexibility with my working hours...
    gain experience in a different key stage...
    gain experience in a wider variety of schools!

If I’m honest supply agency’s will happy to have an UPS teacher on their books and my god have they seen it all before. You could be honest in your reason but here are some alternatives.

3. Teacherinneed969

Teacherinneed969 New commenter

Oh and you could use you want a more work life balance, supply will allow me to still let me experience all the wonders of teaching but allow me to spend more time with the family etc.

4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Agree with posts #2 & #3. Also 'return to classroom teaching'?

agathamorse and Mermaid7 like this.
  5. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

I was bullied out of my last job leading me to hand in my notice without a job to go to. I was totally up front with the agency I joined and they were very understanding. With their help, I'm now in a new permanent position in a school I really like. Use one of the excellent suggestions above and know that life after being bullied out can and will get better!

6. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

All the best FollyFairy for your new job in September.

7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Think why you are applying for the post and put that as the reason.
    So something like:
    'return to KS2 teaching'
    'move to teach in a large city school'
    'wanting to lead a core subject'
    Whatever you can find in the new post which wasn't available in the previous one.

Try not to give the impression you want an easier life.
    This isn't the key part of the application and will only be skimmed over, to check you weren't sacked for gross misconduct.
    Don't fret too much over it. The new head wants to know why you want to work for them and why you would be an incredible addition to their staff, not really why you didn't much like the old place.

8. frustum

frustum Star commenter

To be honest, they're going to know something was odd if you left in February. There might be something to be said for the "positive spin", but I think I might be inclined to go for something like "ill health - now fully recovered". They probably will read into that that it was stress-related, as people don't usually leave if they have appendicitis, but if your supply record bears out that you are fighting fit now you're out of that school, hopefully that should mean they will give you a chance.

I have put down "ill health - now fully recovered", and nobody asked about it. The schools I applied to will have known that that school was a stressful one (in SM at the time).

9. frustum

frustum Star commenter

You can put positive spin in your application letter, eg I found that working in a MAT school was not for me, as I prefer a school where staff have more autonomy (or find some other aspect of the job where the school you're applying to is different to the MAT). You can also talk up the supply as having given you experience in a variety of settings, which has made it clearer to you that <the school you're applying to> is the sort of school where you can make the biggest contribution.

10. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

This one is my favourite.

Orchid2457 and Mermaid7 like this.
  11. caterpillartobutterfly

If this is true, then by all means write it. If it isn't then it will be tricky to explain later when you fill in a health questionnaire and have no sick leave in the last five years!

agathamorse and Mermaid7 like this.
  12. install

install Star commenter

Some Usual reasons for leaving are -

Moving home
    To broaden horizons
    Family
    Course
    To become self employed
    To gain experience of other schools

13. codface575757

codface575757 New commenter

Agree with previous posters.
    'to gain experience of other schools before deciding on next career move' or some such thing. Then it shows you are applying to the new job having used that experience to good effect.

agathamorse and install like this.
  14. Mermaid7

Thanks all. I’ve been honest with supply agencies and said that following a restructure, all TLR holders were told 13-hour days in school were now expected (plus work at home and weekends) - therefore I found the workload excessive. Registering with agencies hasn’t been a problem - it’s more difficult when applying for permanent roles. I’m trying to stay positive.

agathamorse and grumpydogwoman like this.
  15. caterpillartobutterfly

Much as I agree with you that it is ridiculously excessive and think your decision to get out of such a stupid school is the right one, don't write or say this when applying for permanent roles. You invite the question of 'what do you regard as reasonable?' which will then be difficult to answer.

Are you applying for TLR posts or for general teaching posts?
    If the first, then write something like 'to lead a different subject' or 'to lead KS1' or 'to experience a different model of leadership'.
    If the second, then something like 'to return to full time classroom teaching'.

Make it sound a positive choice and be prepared to, possibly, lie a bit in interview to continue the positive spin.

16. Mermaid7

Thanks, this is very helpful - I haven’t referred to working hours at the previous place when applying for posts. The ‘experience a different model of leadership’ is most accurate for TLR posts. I’m conscious that I need to be positive in interview (if I get an interview!)

17. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Write ‘resignation’ and nothing else.

They’re just making sure you weren’t fired.

18. Robfreeman

Robfreeman Occasional commenter

I've wrote resigned on mine and I did get questioned once and I was upfront and I said there had been a lot of changes at the school and I felt I no longer wanted to be there and it was my natural time to move on.

19. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

I've only ever written 'Resignation' and have never had any issues.

Half the applications I receive don't even have that bit completed. (Nothing more annoying than a long-winded response, which almost always sounds like implicit criticism of the previous school.)

20. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Otherwise you risk the following:
    "The lady doth protest too much, methinks"

Why the lengthy self-justification, eh? What's amiss with this person/situation? Don't bother.

agathamorse, Mermaid7 and Pomza like this.