1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reason for leaving

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Lara mfl 05, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Some might say, 'stickability' qualities and staying with your present school, despite disagreeing with the ethos/whatever might actually be a good reason for staying and 'proving' your capabilities as a teacher. (It used to be said everyone needed at least one 'difficult' school on your recored to prove yourself!)
    However assuming you're not willing to pursue that line, what about needing to relocate to be nearer family / wanting to expand horizons into differing school ethos in preparation for that all important promotion type reasons?

2. mh3

mh3

Thanks for your response.
    I feel I ought to defend myself. I have done a lot of soul-searching over the last few months and have been back and forth between deciding to stay and stick it out or leaving for somewhere else. It is never an easy decision and I can understand why a CV littered with schools where one has only spent a year or two here and there looks bad. But before this school, I have stayed many years at previous ones. The reason I want to leave is not because the children or catchment area are 'difficult', it's because the management is utterly incompetent, which is a view shared by many and is not just a bitter feeling on my part. The thing that made me decide to leave was saying to myself that if asked to discuss my current school in future, if I was honest and said how poorly I felt the school serviced its students, the question that came to mind that someone should ask me is "if you felt it was so bad, how could you, with integrity, continue to work there, knowing you felt that way?" So perhaps my CV will be compromised because I want to maintain my integrity.
    Also I have always felt I have done a good job in the past, but this particular school has undermined so many of my actions which I know to be in the best interests of my pupils, that my confidence is all but shot. I know deep down I am a good teacher, but if I stay at this school any longer, I will be compromising my health, my quality of life and that of my family.
    Just because this school isn't the one for me, doesn't mean I can't be a good teacher at another, and so I just want to put my current situation in a positive a light as possible.
    Think I will go with your advice of expanding horizons further and explain further at interview if asked. Thanks again for responding.

3. I fully sympathise with you.. although my situation got to a point where I tried to stick it out and the management were obviously threatend and ended my contract.. (v long story!)
    So I am in a similar situation.. currently thinking of what my 'positive response' will be at interview to my situation. As Theo has said in the past, you must always be upfront and honest... yet positive about these things.
    On reflection it is all a learning experience and will make us stronger teachers for sticking by what we believe is best for the children... because they are the ones that matter.

Good luck to you x

4. mh3

mh3

Thank you <u>so</u> much for this response. It helps to know I'm not the only one in this situation.
    Good luck to you too.