1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reason for leaving

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by anon2047, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Hi I know I have posted on here quite a lot but I really have had enough at my school. I live a very long way from where I work, if I was to give that as a reason for leaving, would that be flagged as a negative on any future app? I would then put relocation on the app.

I have got to the point where I really cannot take any more.

Thanks
    Jaime

2. bed

bed New commenter

This is a really tough time of year - all those things you thought would be sorted and great by half way through just aren't (they rarely are)
    Have a careful think - are you suffering from NQT mid-year slump?
    Or is there really more to it?
    The NQT year is notoriously hard - harder than the PGCE for eg (imho)
    To leave a job in order to relocate is perfectly acceptable and shouldn't jeapordise another application.
    But NQT posts are reportedly really hard to come by.
    Can you afford to quit now? Both in terms of salary and completing your NQT year?
    Have a careful think before you give up - you've done the dark mornings and evenings and now comes the better weather which should make your travel easier.
    Think about what will be best for you and yours in the long term.
    You have my best wishes whatever you decide - but don't make a decision whilst you're fed-up.
    Be clear, be rational.
    Take care of yourself.
    bed xx

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

By all means apply for jobs whilst you have one but think very carefully about 'jumping ship'.
    I think the commute is a valid reason (especially the way petrol etc is going) however what will you put if you apply for a job thats equally far away? (and you may have to with the job market being so dire)
    Best of luck either way and I'm sure I'll see you on the JobSeekers forum xx

4. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

There sometimes a box for it, it might look worse than it is if it was left blank. x

5. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

If a reason is necessary then there are lots of things you could put include travelling being too difficult, family circumstances, you could say you were relocating due to unforseen circumstances. Obviously you are in a difficult position because you dont want to put down that you are unhappy at the school. The simplest solution would be if you had secured a permanent post because that would be a good reason. However, easier said that done!

6. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

If you feel the need for a reason, be vague and say something like "due to domestic issues" but there is no requirement to do so even if they canvass you from HR with a form asking for reasons.
    Make sure, if you decide to go ahead, that you stipulate the correct end date (clue: not the last day of work in school but the end of the holiday period after the term!). Officially, it should be 30th April if resigning for the end of the Spring term but they'd probably accept 16th(?) April and get a replacement to start straight after the Spring term break.
    I would agree that you will miss out on what many consider the easiest term. Lighter days, better weather and a shorter term make the Summer term most teachers' favourite, with (in Secondary) exam classes leaving early, YR 10 work experience, SOWs completed early and the ability to 'lighten up' a bit more and finally 'cracking' some of the 'hard nuts'! Oh, and 6 weeks of paid holidays, with no work to be done if you've resigned for the 31st August.