1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"Reason for leaving post?"

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Cyrus1983, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Cyrus1983

Cyrus1983 New commenter

Hi everyone
    I am an NQT that is on supply at the moment. I had a post for a term and a half which ended before Easter. The school was in trouble for a few different reasons before, and while I was there. I enjoyed my time at the school and the staff were amazing but I, along with 8 other members of teaching staff were told that the school could no longer afford to keep us when the new financial year starts.

I have just started applying for permanent positions and am wondering about the aforementioned question. I was told that if they could have afforded it, I would have stayed but I am worried that if I attempt to write something like this on my application it will make me look desperate. Is it a better idea to simply state "end of contract" and when they see the date of leaving hope they read between the lines? Or should I put it in more detail to make me look a bit more desirable??!!

Any thoughts/experiences would be much appreciated.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I used to put 'end of temporary contract' in similar circumstances. the addition of the word 'temporary' will indicate why you don't have a usual 'leaving date'.

NotAPowerRanger and agathamorse like this.
  3. NotAPowerRanger

NotAPowerRanger New commenter

^This is great advice and exactly what I do. I've had 4 temporary contracts over the years and it hasn't stopped me getting other jobs.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.