1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reapplying for a Post

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by kittyfantastico09, Feb 18, 2016.

1. kittyfantastico09

kittyfantastico09 New commenter

Last year I moved into a new area and applied for 2 jobs for which I had interviews.

The first interview was for a maternity cover in an independent boarding school and the second was at a community college. Both looked like excellent schools and I was pleased to get interviews at both. Unfortunately the interviews were on Thursday and Friday of the same week.

The maternity cover was not my first choice but I went to the interview and was offered the job. I told them I had another interview and they started dangling carrots and being pushy (in a positive way).

I decided not to go the interview at the second school. In a misguided attempt to 'do the right thing', I did a very silly thing. I didn't want to interview for a job when I was seriously considering another. This was a completely stupid decision on my part but I was really worried about being torn between the two.

Now the maternity cover is over and the carrots dangled have been hidden.

The second school is advertising again and I would like to put an application in. I have made some changes to my covering letter but there are a lot of things that I am struggling to reword.

Do I need to have a completely fresh letter? Should I address the fact I have applied before?

Lesson has been learned and any advice is very gratefully received.

2. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Just apply. I think you are overthinking this.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

As @wanet says

Don't mention last time. They will judge this time in competition with those who are applying this time. Who are probably not exactly those who applied last time.

And depending on this time's competition, you may or may not get shortlisted.

Have you been to the Jobseekers Forum (scroll down the forum list to find it) and found all the applications and interview advice, by the way?

Best wishes

4. kittyfantastico09

kittyfantastico09 New commenter

Thank you both.