1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Realsmartcloud

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by apmcarthur, May 1, 2012.

1. Hi everyone,

I keep getting emails about "Realsmartcloud with google apps".

Does anyone use this or is anyone using this as a vle?

What's peoples opinions of it?

2. Hi everyone,

I keep getting emails about "Realsmartcloud with google apps".

Does anyone use this or is anyone using this as a vle?

What's peoples opinions of it?

3. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

Real Smart is a serious paradigm shift for most schools. Personally like the company and product but never felt it appropriate in my school.

4. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

"Realsmart cloud costs £4995"
    My school's, google docs/email accounts cost ....£0
    My school's Google Drive acclounts cost £0
    Our wordpress blogs cost .... £0

5. We use RealSmart, we don't subscribe to the cloud bit - tbh it's a bit of a cheek charging for what is free - the only benefit is the single sign-on I think.

In terms of what RealSmart is good for, it's excellent for AfL - students regularly uploading work and receiving written feedback - makes it very easy to chart progress - multiple drafts etc.

The blogs and sharing tools make it easy for students to share their work with others and get feedback where a record is kept - you as the teacher have control of this.

PM me if you want to know any more.

6. Dropbox is the dogs ******.

7. DEmsley Why do you think it's a serious paradigm shift? - not disagreeing just curious!

8. That's what we thought to. Except you can't put together a VLE replacement for free. The problem is that in a Secondary School you will have at least 700 classes and its impossible to set up the groups, teachers and allocating them to the correct groups etc without some sort of link into Sims. There are other dashboards out there but they cost nearly as much as RealSmart (which has a useful set of additional features). Also RealSmart worked within a few days whilst we spent six months with a another provider with out getting anywhere close.

in the US Pearson announced a VLE based around googleDocs for free...apparently it didn't even attempt to resolve the basic problem of setting up groups. I

Administration is never free. Someone somewhere has to pay for it.