1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Realsmart: Anyone using it?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by escha1305, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Hi there
    I have recently been given a new toy to play with, Realsmart. It looks quite flash; however I am struggling to see how I can actually use it effectively. I have played with passports and rafl, but I can''t quite get them to do what I want them to do! Ideally, I would like to put my assessment criteria on there for each unit, with links to videos/resources if necessary, students can then tick it when they have done it and then I could tick it as well to confirm. So far I have been playing with the "add a story" on the passport section, but I am not sure at the moment!
    Anyone got any ideas or success stories?

2. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

Talk to the company? I've met Gwyn and he's full of good ideas, I'm sure they'll help.

3. We use it extensively. Mainly the RAFLs and RCasts.

For RAFLs we use it as an assessment tool, we upload tracking spreadsheets, mark schemes at the top of the RAFL and then create AOs underneath. For each AO we put in the assessment criteria and then students upload work against each criteria. They then receive written feedback that tells them their target grade, current working grade, where they have done well and where they can improve to meet the next grade boundary if appropriate. It is an outstanding tool for assessment and feedback and we would sorely miss it if we lost it.

The RCasts are also useful, our students have to answer reflective questions as part of every plenary on their blog. They can also share work on their blog with a testing partner to receive feedback.

If you want to know more you can PM me or reply to this thread!

HTH
    Steve

4. It's a fantyastic platform that we got in Frebruary and are trying to implement it into every department. Very useful for assessment with feedback comments to and from teachers.
    Highly recommended.

5. Hi there Steve_ICT. I am looking at RealSmart cloud as an adjunct/replacement for the rather unwieldy Moodle platform that we currently use. I saw your post and was interested as you seem to be using it in exactly the way I want to. Moodle does what I need it to do but from the kids' point of view it a). looks like a dog's breakfast and b). is not very visual. Also uptake of Moodle has been slow among staff as I think the learning curve for the majority is too steep. Do you have the cloud functionality as part of your installation? I'd love to have a chat and maybe a skype screen-share with you to see how you are using RealSmart. Whereabouts are you based?

6. Hi, if you PM me I can give you contact details. I'm based at a school within County Durham.

We don't have the cloud functionality mainly since it's actually just a repackaged version of Google Apps with a single sign-on and since GApps is free it makes no sense to pay them for it if we decide to use it in the future.

Our kids are very positive about RealSmart and other departments are beginning to adopt it for homework and assessment tasks. Departments who offer BTECs and have timetabled ICT suite time are also now using it.