1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Really?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by catmother, Dec 30, 2011.

1. catmother

catmother Star commenter

2. sbf

sbf New commenter

lols, nothing less than a plasma telly for me please.
    I can't imagine what i would say if i got a big gift, not accept it that's for sure.

3. I like the one about the turkey killed by the pupil herself!
    Don't you work in an area where that might be a possibility, catmum? (Because you're worth it etc.etc. ...!)
    And what about the recommendation that gifts be kept 'small and personal'? Lingerie for Miss, next...? [​IMG]

4. gnulinux

gnulinux Occasional commenter

This is probably only a Primary phenomenon. In Secondary you would generally be lucky to get a few cards from Staff. Having said that, certain teachers (the odd few) seem to be showered with cards etc. They must be the most brilliant of teachers and so deserving of these unsolicited???? cards and gifts. And if you believe that ...

5. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

I always tell pupils that I will only accept Xmas cards if they include a £5 note, minimum. Some of my S1s think I'm joking and give me a card anyway. On the other hand SWMBO works in Primary and I've often had to call by on my way to the pub to take the carrier bags full of loot home. Chocolates, the occasional M$S voucher (usually from a collective of parents rather than individuals) and enough candles for a mediaeval cathedral.Primary colleagues do make direct contact with parents in a way which secondary teachers do not and often build up strong positive relationships whereas secondary contacts are usually to give parents the not so good news.
    More seriously, I detect something of an agenda here from the parents' organisation in question. It's time to have a wee pop at teachers with their gold plated pensions, sponging off hard working parents and blaming parents for poor academic results in schools.
    http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/education/teachers-blamed-for-pupils-poor-results.15887966

6. catmother

catmother Star commenter

You would have thought so,wouldn't you? However,I got nowt,despite watching classes after classes throwing cards and present at one other.

7. I didn't even get a Christmas card this year - there's usually some S1 who hasn't yet realised he will be mocked forever more by giving cards to teachers. I'll have to try being nice to them next year.

8. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Me neither. I find it highly sad/amusing that my reg class would come in every single day and have an "orgy" of exchanging cards and presents (most of them I would not mind finding under my tree) and none of them would think of giving me a card. How totally invisible are we?

9. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Catmum, to neglect you in the orgy line up is a very big mistake! I saw the leopard skin dress you bought! Sexy or what!

10. catmother

catmother Star commenter

[​IMG]

11. Too much chocolate! But my OH certainly appreciates it. Didn't get so many candles this year but did get too diaries (have I shown some need for organisation?) and some other really nice gifts. Best present was a card written really neatly with finger spaces from a boy I have really helped to be able to improve his writing. I did notice that my job share had a lot more presents 'though she did teach them last year and this whereas I've only had them since autumn.

12. Is it some kind of competition, then?

13. oops didn't mean it like that! I noticed because there were more than she could carry! It does read a bit like competition though.