1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Really worried, I seem to have fallen victim to some phishing scam

Discussion in 'Personal' started by ian60, Jan 12, 2012.

1. ian60

ian60 New commenter

Can some one please tell me the worst or make me feel better.
    This morning I opened an e-mail from someone I know, and then opened another link that seemed to take me to a face book page.
    As a result I have now sent a similar message to my entire address book!
    What other damage has now been done? We do subscribe to Norton.
    Should we change all our passwords? Inform banks etc?

In a bit of a tizzy at the moment, so any info from people who know more about these things will be useful.

Many thanks
    Ian

2. ian60

ian60 New commenter

Can some one please tell me the worst or make me feel better.
    This morning I opened an e-mail from someone I know, and then opened another link that seemed to take me to a face book page.
    As a result I have now sent a similar message to my entire address book!
    What other damage has now been done? We do subscribe to Norton.
    Should we change all our passwords? Inform banks etc?

In a bit of a tizzy at the moment, so any info from people who know more about these things will be useful.

Many thanks
    Ian

3. MarilynDan

MarilynDan New commenter

Because of my site (which sells teaching resources) I am in many, many people's address books and every day I get at least one (often more) spam emails from people who have bought something from me in the past and added me to their address book. I usually recognise these Spam emails from their titles and get rid of them. Those I open (because I think they are genuine) always have a link to a site which I never click on.
    I am no expert but a change of password should sort you out. Other than that Malwarebytes is recommended for picking up and getting rid of malware that other virus checkers like Norton/McAfee etc don't even notice. It's a free download from the internet - I have the full version and scan every night although it also runs in the background and blocks suspicious sites.
    I don't keep an electronic address book in the hope that if my email (address book) is ever hacked into I won't be sending spam! I know that's not always practical for everyone - I keep one email from those I'm close to and that keeps their address so I don't lose it.

4. ian60

ian60 New commenter

That's very kind of you to reply MarylynDan.
    We have changed our hotmail password, do you think we should change other passwords?
    Any financial stuff we might do is done using different passwords, and we have never used paypal or e-bay.
    Should we contact banks anyway?

5. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Hotmail accounts were being hacked into a while back and this was the result. Contact your provider and inform them. You may need to delete your existing account and create a new one.

6. This may be a bit extreme. First, change all internet passwords you have. MAlware can detect them. This includes bank ones and paypal. Run malware (i think there is a free one) and see how things go but keep an eye on e mail accounts and bank accounts.

Most of all, try not to panic. In future, never click on a link in an e mail unless you are sure it is genuine.

7. Doglover

Doglover Occasional commenter

Occasionally when I get a virus I run a programme called Malwarebytes, and it usually is very good at detecting anything wrong, and tells you what to get rid of.

8. Cestrian

Cestrian New commenter

Most bank passwords are now the sort that you have to choose random letters from a drop-down menu, so they shouldn't be compromised. My hotmail account was hacked about a year ago, some random marketing email was sent to all in my address book, and then my address book was virtually deleted! Hotmail Help Centre was very helpful, and showed me how to get the addresses back. They suggested I change my hotmail password (and set it to change every few months), but I didn't need to close the account or change any other passwords. No problems since.

9. Doglover

Doglover Occasional commenter

It my not be hacking, it is likely to be a virus which can access your contacts and send email randoms to people on your contact list. It happens all the time.

10. My dad had this happen, he used AVG, changed his password (to be on the safe side) and that sorted it out!