1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Really want to teach!

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Brulath, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Brulath

Brulath New commenter

I'm a podiatrist (uk trained) with 8 years experience, but for a long long time have contemplated teaching. I havent ever felt passionate about my chosen career and often look at my teaching friends in envy. I've recently done alot of education sessions relating to my current role and just felt like I came alive! I loved it!! I keep kicking myself that I didn't look into teaching prior to going into Podiatry. I'm in a position now where I can make a jump in careers and wondered if it would be possible with my current degree? A-level results were pretty terrible (I was a very distracted teen) but I obtained a first class degree (highest awarded degree grade) plus 1 year pre degree study in human bioscience and psychology. I would consider both primary or secondary, it doesnt matter. I just want to teach! Any help or advice would be greatly recieved!! (I'm a UK citizen with PR status if that's relevent)!

2. phatsals

phatsals Established commenter

Yes you can. There are numerous ways into training these days, from Schools Direct to university based PGCE. You could do with spending time in schools, primary and secondary to decide which one feels more comfortable you. Although you could change Key Stages later, it's much easier if you make the decision at the start.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

Primary and secondary teaching are very different. As the previous poster says, take some time to get into schools to see which you would prefer.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Have you spoken to them regarding the everyday life of being a teacher? Perhaps you could persuade them to wangle you some school observation and experience. Talk to other teachers while you are there. Before you commit yourself to training or a PGCE make sure you are fully informed as to what you are letting yourself in for. If you decide to take up teaching then I hope it works out for you.

5. angrypixie

angrypixie New commenter

Teaching could never be described as a dream - perhaps a nightmare! You don't know what it's like until you do it. I would stick with where you are especially if the money's ok. I really wish I'd trained to do something else.

6. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

Teaching is great. Do a bit more research into subjects and ages. Ask around different people to find out their experiences. Ask varying ages of people too as some have had different experiences each generation.

I'd definitely recommend it.

Shedman likes this.
  7. makras

makras Occasional commenter

Teaching is one of the best jobs you can do if your management/colleagues and the education system as a whole are supportive and are there when you need them. Unfortunately, it deosn't work that way.

Teaching is great for a start but then... you realise...

agathamorse likes this.
  8. TeacherMan19

But it's not like that in every case. Many people pursue teaching and enjoy careers following their passion working in schools that they enjoy with a supportive network around them.

My previous school was like this and many people stayed there for their whole. Careers to date. 20 something years.

Positive mindset is a good place to start.

MathMan1 likes this.
  9. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

really? I don't think so. A realistic mindset is surely going to be a lot healthier.

Most teachers want to get out. Not because they dislike teaching, but because teaching is such a small part of the job, and they don't like the rest of it.

Personally, I love teaching, but I never get a chance to do any. I spend approx 20% of my working week in front of a class, and even then most of that is following a script. The rest of the time is admin/policework

Shedman and agathamorse like this.
  10. TeacherMan19

It's possible to realistic and positive.

There's a lot of teachers. 'most' is a big number. My job isn't admin. And I spend a small amount of my week doing it. That increases a bit when doing assessments but not much.
    I don't have restrictions of a script and don't have particular topics I need to cover.

I think it's unhealthy to get yourself into a position where the world and your job is negative. If you start off negative then it's a constant hill climb. If you start positive and things take their toll, at least you've given it your all and didn't let those negative preconditioned thoughts of others weigh you down.

It's a point of view I have which is unpopular with most people on this forum but it's what I have. Regulars on this forum won't suddenly change their minds either - I've read their posts. But I'm offering an alternative to view to anyone new or potential.

11. Corvuscorax

You are not offering an alternative view, you are just suggesting ignoring reality

12. TeacherMan19

It's not a reality for everyone.

13. Corvuscorax

I never said it was, I said for most people. I would go as far as to say probably for nearly everyone

agathamorse likes this.
  14. TeacherMan19

And I can disagree. We'll leave it at that and let OP make up their own mind with whatever they decide to do with their future.