1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Really unhappy

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by misse2020, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Hiya

I'm a very unhappy NQT :-(

I'm so stressed all the time and find that teaching has just become who I am - it takes over my life completely. My mentor is totally unhelpful. He didn't even realise he had to register me as an NQT until 7 weeks into my first term. I missed all courses, all my release time.... Everything. I get no support. I was suddenly told today that all my app levels need to be in on Monday, for example.
    My mentor is more interested in bitching about people round school and trying to be 'friends' and mr popular with the parents...... If I go to him for advice on a child and i suggest I need to speak with parents, he says 'oh that will make it so awkward for me as I'm their friend'!!! It's a extremely small village school buti thought keeping a professional distance was important??

No one has EVER checked or helped me with my planning, my assessment or my reports. I am drowning and feel like I want to leave the profession. I have had no release time at all this week.

What makes it worse is I am just maternity cover, and the teacher keeps changing her mind about when she will come back. So i dont even know if I will get a whole term for the summer for my 2nd induction term. She also comes back constantly bringing biscuits in for the class, and bringing her baby in. Generally unsettling them and our routines. It sends the kids wild, asking for her back!!!

The head isn't supportive. She is very distant and never gets involved :-(

I wish I could wipe this job away and start my whole NQT time again, somewhere supportive.
    That said, I am passing my NQT terms with flying colours according to the reports!

I just don't know what to do :-( I'm missing time with my own children and I am starting to resent all the time I spend on it all.

2. Hiya

I'm a very unhappy NQT :-(

I'm so stressed all the time and find that teaching has just become who I am - it takes over my life completely. My mentor is totally unhelpful. He didn't even realise he had to register me as an NQT until 7 weeks into my first term. I missed all courses, all my release time.... Everything. I get no support. I was suddenly told today that all my app levels need to be in on Monday, for example.
    My mentor is more interested in bitching about people round school and trying to be 'friends' and mr popular with the parents...... If I go to him for advice on a child and i suggest I need to speak with parents, he says 'oh that will make it so awkward for me as I'm their friend'!!! It's a extremely small village school buti thought keeping a professional distance was important??

No one has EVER checked or helped me with my planning, my assessment or my reports. I am drowning and feel like I want to leave the profession. I have had no release time at all this week.

What makes it worse is I am just maternity cover, and the teacher keeps changing her mind about when she will come back. So i dont even know if I will get a whole term for the summer for my 2nd induction term. She also comes back constantly bringing biscuits in for the class, and bringing her baby in. Generally unsettling them and our routines. It sends the kids wild, asking for her back!!!

The head isn't supportive. She is very distant and never gets involved :-(

I wish I could wipe this job away and start my whole NQT time again, somewhere supportive.
    That said, I am passing my NQT terms with flying colours according to the reports!

I just don't know what to do :-( I'm missing time with my own children and I am starting to resent all the time I spend on it all.

3. One thing that really winds me up is those who think they can walk into your classroom and ruin your routines. As far as I am concerned, this is a professionalism issue and should be addressed so that it does not happn again. If the teacher on leave wishes to speak to her class she should be doing this at break not in your time.
    It is also not acceptable that your mentor is suggesting you don't have the right to approach his 'friends' about their child. I could possibly envisage a situation where I was teaching a friend's child (fortunately it is yet to happen, but I have taught the children of colleagues at the same school). If anything, if I was friends with the parent, I would expect them to be more supportive. I've worked in schools in my LEA from the biggest to (nearly) the smallest and the same standards of professionalism apply in both.
    You should seek clarification on your contract from your head before the end of this term, it is unreasonable to expect you to just keep turning up until you are told otherwise. I would also enquire as to whether you should expect to be paid through to 31st Aug. In addition your release time is an entitlement -not a gift- so don't be afraid to stand your ground on getting it.
    Your planning, assessment and reports are your responsibility, and I wouldn't necessarily 'check' an NQTs planning. However I would conduct book scrutinies and review reports, thus 'checking' your assessment. If somebody needed help with planning I would do so if they asked - have you asked anyone for help?
    As you are currently on course to reach the standards (comfortably it would seem!), perhaps other staff think you are already doing such a great job you might not need any help from them.
    When you start teaching it can take over your life. This is because of, obviously, the stress and responsibility of it all, but also because you love it, even though it might not feel like it all the time. If you didn't you would leave school at 3.30 and forget about it.
    I understand you may dislike your current school, but don't let it put you off the profession. My second school was very much like this, there are plenty more fish in the sea - so to speak. As you are on a temporary contract, my advise would be to keep on going and find somewhere better for September.
    I would also say that teaching doesn't get easier, you just get used to it!
    Hope that helps and good luck!

4. I just want to thank you so much for all your help and advice :). I have booked a meeting with the head for Monday so I can go through everything. I'm writing it all down so I don't forget anything - I'm being really badly treated about this maternity thing and I want answers now

Thanks again