1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Really tough interview questions:

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Lynn1303, Aug 22, 2006.

1. I had an interview yesterday for a HLTA job, what do you think to some of these questions becuase I was quite baffled!
    Describe two activities you have planned delivered and asseesed which went really well (from KS1&KS2)
    What skills do you need to work with several teachers?
    How do the children see you?
    What are your strengths?
    What HLTA standard do you excel in?
    What part of your training has been most significant to you and how do you implement it in class?
    How would you raise standards with a group of low attaining Y6 boys?
    Are you familiar with the NLS requirements from Y1-6.
    Are you familiar with the FSC.
    And then there were about 10 more common ones, I felt I just had a full teachers interview!!

2. I had an interview yesterday for a HLTA job, what do you think to some of these questions becuase I was quite baffled!
    Describe two activities you have planned delivered and asseesed which went really well (from KS1&KS2)
    What skills do you need to work with several teachers?
    How do the children see you?
    What are your strengths?
    What HLTA standard do you excel in?
    What part of your training has been most significant to you and how do you implement it in class?
    How would you raise standards with a group of low attaining Y6 boys?
    Are you familiar with the NLS requirements from Y1-6.
    Are you familiar with the FSC.
    And then there were about 10 more common ones, I felt I just had a full teachers interview!!

3. Hi Lynn,
    I think some employers are expecting a lot from HLTAs as they are going to have to pay them considerably more than, for example, a Level 1 TA. They therefore want to make sure they are getting value for money, hence the 'tough' interview questions. I was asked similar questions at my HLTA assessment so I don't think they are unreasonable for an interview for a HLTA post.
    Are there many HLTA positions being advertised in your area? I have been for one HLTA interview which turned out to be really a cover supervisor post i.e. mainly covering for teachers absence due to illness. It was not what I thought the HLTA status was all about!

4. Re - post 2,

"...have to pay them" !!!!!!

Are you sure? Is it not the case that some HLTAs are getting very little and sometimes nothing for having achieved the status? Although it might be different if you get the status and then apply to a different school entirely.

Even so the sort of 'interrogation' you mention should be aimed at a much higher profile job. At the best we are talking about a job/status!!! that commands less than £20.000 if it were full time and most are not.

My other half works in a toilet roll factory and earns in excess of £30.000 and would not have been asked these questions. Obviously the nature of the job is different but it does to serve to put the whole sorry business into some sort of realistic perspective.

If they expect an HLTA to be dealing with these questions I would suggest that the pay needs to be reviewed?

5. I would say all the questions above are relevent to an HLTA role. I had very similar questions in my interview.There is nothing there that does not refer to standards you should have met on gaining the status.
    With so few HLTA posts about and so many with the status I think the above example is probably the norm for an interview....HTs want to know they are employing the best of the best.
    Agree with the 'more pay' though Galadriel!!

6. Beadle - your last paragraph...

Isn't the covering of classes exactly what the HLTA is all about?

Certainly at my school both the HLTAs - one for each key stage are employed to teach on a regular basis when teachers are absent or having PPA time.

Could it be called cheap labour or am I being cynical?

7. To add to my post 5...

If HLTAs are used as pseudo teachers, that may be why the original poster feels she has had a 'teachers' interview?

8. Galadriel,
    I agree with you that not all those with HLTA status are being paid at the recommended rate, but I was assuming that a post that was advertised as a HLTA one would be paid more highly.
    I also agree that HLTAs are capable of covering teachers' PPA time and that this was part of the workload agreement. The difference is that PPA is a planned part of the timetable and the work to be done should have been discussed in advance. Whereas if a teacher is off sick at short notice then this is unplanned and I do not think it is part of the HLTA's role to cover this absence.
    If schools are using HLTAs to cover teacher sickness they are not following the guidelines as I understand them.

9. bluebell27

bluebell27 New commenter

In my opinion I would consider these questions relevant and acceptable for someone considered to have HLTA status.

These are things that the experienced TA supporting teaching and learning would be familiar with.
    Based on the fact that the HLTA requires that the TA is experienced in many of the standards then they are quite logical.

Many of us plan and deliver for small group work- booster, intervention programmes/ phonics/ differentiating class work etc.]

We have all worked at some time with different teachers so recognise different teaching methods and standards for each class.

If anyone has been going for the HLTA status then it's expected that they would be familiar with the standards and know which ones they have been successful in.

Even if the TA works down in the infant department [or vice versus] it is good practice to know where they are going or coming from so being 'aware' of the different levels of the curriculum would be common practice. [this is not assuming the TA needs to know everything from the literacy and numeracy strategies but if you are working with SEN pupils say in ks 2 you will need to track back to earlier objectives.

I'm not saying they were easy questions. far from it, but they did reflect the expectations you would expect from someone with experience.

10. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

We have 2 HLTAs in our school (paid more than other TAs/LSAs) one is basically the deputy SENCO, she sorts out the cover if LSAs are off sick to prioritise the children that have to be covered (e.g. physical needs) and does most of the paperwork for the reviews etc (not exactly sure what our SENCO does anymore!)

The other is the English teaching and admin assistant who takes small non-german groups in their german lessons, as well as the other TAA things for English.

11. I don't see any problem with those sort of questions, any experienced TA which presumably you are if you are going for a HLTA job should be able to answer them all. Look at them again and have a think now that the interview is over and see if you really struggle to answer them, maybe it was nerves that threw you. Did you get the job by the way?

12. I had a HLTA interview yesterday, nervous was not the word! Here are the questions I can remember-
    A pupil gives you disclosure, what do you do?
    A teacher has set some work for you to deliver to the class, it is clearly too difficult for one group of pupils, what is your course of action?
    Describe a lesson that you planned and delivered that you think went well and why?
    A pupil refuses to follow an instruction, what do you do?
    And my personal favourite-
    Describe you best strength and your biggest weakness and how you plan to overcome it. I'm kicking myself for not guessing that that one would be asked, self-reveiw was emphasised thoughout the course!

My best advice, prepare for the interview as if it was a job for class teacher. There was a teacher with many years experince applying for the HLTA position. Also, if your mind goes blank don't be afraid to ask for a few moments to consider your answer. I used that one a lot!

13. Oh and....
    What is the difference between a TA and a HLTA?!

14. HLTA = very cheap teacher. I wouldn't do it for all the tea in China.

15. Hey, I know these are really old posts but hopefully someone can help! I have a job interview for HLTA in secondary school next week and I'm currently working as a LSA. Does anyone have any tips on interview questions that might come up? I've not currentlt got the status, it would be offered with the job.

Thanks!