1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Really stuck on my next career move, what would you do?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by dsdix95, Aug 1, 2019.

1. dsdix95

dsdix95 New commenter

I really want to do well and feel like I'm at a stage in my life where I need to continuously be progressing to do so, but really can't make up my mind what the right choices are for myself. I currently have given myself 2 main options, teaching or potentially completing a masters. So I currently work as a P.E Coordinator in a primary school with a schools direct route which I would be able to go through to gain my QTS, it seems like a great opportunity with high chances of being employed as a teacher upon completion but I'm being put off by all the negative aspects around teaching. Option 2 is building on the role I am currently doing at the school and completing a masters in Sports business management, to look at progressing into a managerial role/sports development. The masters would be part time and allow me to keep my salary and job where as the PGCE would be unsalaried.

2. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Id take the masters option, but gave you looked into the cost if this? If you like studying, and it's got potential to open more doors then go for it.

3. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Primary teaching PGCE sounds solid. We train PE teachers and so many of them have tried to carve a career out of the sport side. It’s a hard gig. Better to have the primary PG and then do a masters on the side.

4. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

I’m sorry, perhaps, to be adding to those... I am really not sure that I would now recommend teaching as a career. It’s not something people stay in very long these days, either. I think you have to be passionate and determined that teaching is for you in order to weather the inevitable ups and downs. In your heart of hearts do you want to be a teacher or something else?

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

What are the negative aspects around teaching?
    Are they, for you, specific to your school?

I'd get your PGCE sorted, then move to a new school to do your masters at a later date. Then you'll have many more than two options and might well find that there are fewer negative aspects around teaching.

6. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

I would go for the primary teaching option, plenty of opportunities for progression.

7. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

Not being funny but - is a masters in sports development going to help your career much? Do you actually need it?