1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Really stuck on how to make clothes from recycled materials (year 5 class). Please help!!

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by thedancingqueen, May 8, 2011.

1. am on my final block placement with a year 5 class. We've been learning about recycling and I've been told by the class teacher that I have to teach them how to make clothes from recycled materials. I'm dreading it to be honest and I'm trying to work out what to do. I have found some good things to make by weaving plastic bags e.g. hats, sandals, bags etc but the problem is, I don't have enough plastic bags for that and it talks about different types of stitching that I know nothing about. I always hated stitching when I was at school. My plan is maybe to get them to make something small in art this week. e.g a small purse or wallet by weaving plastic bags and then in the following lesson, I thought I could get them to fold plastic bags, I would use wax paper (if I can find out where to buy it from. Only heard about it today for the first time after watching someone demonstrate this on youtube!) and then iron it for them so that they are welded together (if that's the right word. I mean stuck together). They would repeat this process and then I thought they could sew the pieces together, either by hand or use a sewing machine if the school has one. I'm not confident about sewing and I don't feel confident about giving the children sewing needles to use either. Instead, could I just get them to staple the pieces together or use e.g. masking tape? I don't want the pieces to fall apart but it would be a lot quicker and easier. What else could the class use to make their clothes please? Which other recycled materials? Can they just bring their old clothes in and wear them and then make accessories etc? I really don't feel like I know what I'm doing so if anyone can help me, I'd really appreciate it. I'm not looking forward to teaching this in the slightest and I also have exams in a few weeks so the less prep I have to do, the better.

2. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

The easiest is to make pencil cases from old pairs of jeans.
    Cut an oblong then double fold each side and secure with running stitich. Fold into 3, blanket stitch 2 sides together, then make a fastening either with velcro or a loop and ball. They can make the ball by winding knitting wool round and round.
    You can use old knitted jumpers to source the wool for this and the stitiching.
    Hats can also be made, to make the pattern draw round an iron, cut out 6 pieces and stitch long sides together, press seams open, then gather the edge using gathering stitich and make a band from something else.
    There is a substance called Bondaweb you can use if you're not happy about using needles, but this involves heat ie ironing!

3. finamar

finamar New commenter

Just try and think of the recycled products as pieces of material: start by disassembling them and use them as though you were making a product from scratch. The world is your oyster - you can make anything! For example, small drawstring bag, dress a teddy bear, make fabric jewelery (broaches made from layers of flower shapes with safety pin on back), mobile phone jewelery, make simple teddy bears and use fabric pens to add pattern, use recycled sheets to make just about anything, again you can use fabric pens to add pattern and hand embroidery, sequins, also add bits from old jewelery... etc...

4. finamar

finamar New commenter

Just had another thought... if you have a laminator you could encapsulate 'found' things in it and then hole punch the edges and string together with ribbon etc to make some sort of bag, bookmark, wall hanging etc.

5. Wow daftart that sounds very ambitious. I can sew by hand. I didn't do much when I was at school which means that I could be a lot better but simple stitching I could do. I don't think the school has a sewing machine but I could ask. I only have to teach art on Friday this week thankfully and we're weaving plastic bags, just on a supported cardboard structure I made for each pair of kids. Would've made one each but it was taking far too long.