1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Really struggling with literacy planning :(

Discussion in 'Primary' started by littlest4r, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Hi all, I'm starting a new unit in year 3, unit 1 narrative - stories with familiar settings. I'm an NQT and I'm struggling at the moment to get to grips with it all, as I was told by my year leader that there were plans for this unit and I would only need to adapt them for my class, and now I've been told at the last minute that there are no plans at all! No one seems willing to share their planning just to give me an inkling of what to do, and to make matters worse, I've got an nqt observation on tuesday in this subject! Our current theme is rainforests, and my year leader has recommended that I use the great kapok tree. I want to get some really good descriptive writing out of the children, but I don't even know where to start. I've trawled the internet and am just not finding anything inspiring at all :( I've thought that maybe I could get the children to compare some different settings and write keywords to describe each one (in note form) and then adapt this into a descriptive paragraph. I'd also like to include some narrative performance, storytelling etc using tone of voice for effect. But I'm struggling to see how this can take up 3 whole weeks of literacy, and I can't find the old archived strategy files for ideas anywhere. If anyone has any ideas please help, I'm pulling my hair out here.

2. sorry not in year 3 but here is the link to the year 3 literacy strategy in the archives . . . http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20090608182316/http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/node/150264

3. Thank you, I'm not sure why but when I tried to access the site earlier, most of the links were broken.

4. Also, is it just me or are the learning objectives the most vague pieces of text ever written??!

5. Have you looked in the resource bank on here for rain forest ideas ? I'm sure you will find lots of useful ideas !

6. Yeah I have but it's mostly persuasive writing stuff, not descriptive writing.

7. I am in early years so vagueness is a way of life for me !!

8. If it were me, before I started looking at rainforest settings, I'd start with what the children already know.
    Find or write a great description of a school playgound. (There's a reasonably-lengthed description of a school in The Angel of Nitshill Road by Anne Fine if you need a starting point.) Unpick the exemplar text first of all, and then use it as a scaffold to write a description of your own school. Go into the playground. What can you hear? See? Smell? Feel? Taste?
    I'd spend a week writing a good setting description of the playground and getting the children to unpick what is successful about them. Create a shared "checklist" of success critiera. This is then the basis for the rest of your work.
    Find / write setting descriptions for other places, and keep going back to the SC to make sure the children know why they are successful.
    There's plenty of scope for drama, too. Use the hall and some rainforesty soundtracks to explore what a rainforest might feel like, sound like, etc. Watch video clips. Hot seat animals/people who live there.
    You could get weeks and weeks out of this!
    Hope this helps a bit.

9. Thanks elizabeth1972 that really helps :) you're right I don't need to jump straight into rainforests.

10. Get a copy of Ferngully The Last Rainforest for the children to look at to tie in with the written texts- will be great stimulus for them for descriptive writing. Very old so only 2/3 pounds on dvd.

Start small ans expand- show them the pictures from your book and you could build around it a really good descriptive writing session. Have the children pretend to be animals living there- they could talk about their lives and hotseat and act it out etc

11. For your descriptive writing lesson you could print out and laminate some interesting pictures that will be the stimulus for their writing.
    My Y3's love Post-Its, so I give them a picture (either one per table or pairs) then on a Post-it and get them to write an/some adjectives and adverbs related to that picture. They pass the picture on to next group and they add to the post-its. You get the idea I'm sure.
    Then when each picture has a mix of words attached to it, they write about the picture that is now with them, together with the collated word bank to help inspire them.