1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

really struggling with ideas for teaching number bonds to 10- can any one share their ideas?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by cath1980, Jun 1, 2009.

1. thepinkearth

thepinkearth New commenter

I know this is a really late reply! Ensure your class know what 1+1, 2+1, 3+1, 4+1, 5+1, 6+1, 7+1, 8+1, 9+1 is . If they do not understand the "+1, one more, next number" concept between 1 to 10, you'll find they won't be able to understand 'friends of 10' (number bonds to 10). You need to teach them to confidently sequence numbers to 10 to from any start point (counting on) too before you start numbers bond to 10. If you ask them to count to 10 orally and by writing starting from 6, can they? Can the children tell you what number comes before 8 etc? This is the stuff they need to know to confidently and solidly know how to count/sequence numbers to 10. If they can't do any of that, move away from numbers bonds. They won't get anything else until they know this. They MUST understand the +1 concept to 10 and sequencing number to 10 from any start point. It also helps if you spend quite a while teaching the kids what a group of 10 looks like too.... Can they make a bundle of 10/one group of 10 using pop sticks and unifix cubes? It helps for them to know how to make a group of 10 first. These are all the things you need to teach before introducing number bonds to 10. It will help them a lot. They will struggle without these pre skills.
    If they do not know these concepts, number bonds to 10 is going to be "mumbo jumbo" for them because they are not ready for it yet. Hope this helps :)

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  2. pjmteach

pjmteach New commenter

another good one that i have used ( mostly with yr1) is number tennis.
    You all get your bats 'racquets' ready. I hit a number and the children hit a return with the number that makes 10. eg., I hit 7 they hit 3 etc.,
    I also used this to double numbers eg. I hit 4 they hit 8, halve a number etc , and to add up to 20,50,100etc Great fun.
    enjoy

3. hdrakard1

hdrakard1 New commenter

4. shineye

shineye New commenter

Nothing beats Numicon

5. alla_stepanishina

alla_stepanishina New commenter

6. alla_stepanishina

alla_stepanishina New commenter

Number Bonds Memorizer - iPhone, iPad app.
    Ten levels allow students to focus on just the number combinations through ten. After that, you’ve mastered the game. The 1-player mode has all the numbers face-up, the 2-player mode has the numbers face down like a Memory-style game.
    While the game is simple and has minimal levels, the basic number bond practice is solid.

7. Tinycat1234

Tinycat1234 Established commenter

8. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

I've used the free jaques version before but the children used to just drop in any numbers they felt like. It drove me bonkers and was less than effective. The rainbow version is fab and the only drawback I find is that I get sick of it as they sing it all the time...

I agree that it is unnecessary to be doing that at this time of year with reception though. My reception, and nursery, only know it by virtue of being in a mixed class with year 1 and 2! It's just a song at this time.