1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

really struggling with ideas for teaching number bonds to 10- can any one share their ideas?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by cath1980, Jun 1, 2009.

1. I have done ladybird spots, cars in a car park, people at a party, people on a bus and lots still aren't getting it. I am obviously doing something wrong, can anyone tell me what they use?
    Thanks

2. Hi,
    I have also been doing number bonds with mine, and, like you, have been using resources linked to a topic. Have you tried doing it practically eg by asking children to move 5 ants onto a stone, and count how many are on the other stone,then count how many altogether? I have also tried putting 10 people/ teddies into a feely bag and asked children to pick a number between 1 and 10, then asked a child to take that number of toys out of the bag and predict/ work out how many are left in the bag, then check together and re-count, and model how to record as a number sentence.
    hope this may be useful in some way. I also like to look on here for ideas, as sometimesmy mind goes blank!

3. It is hard to get them to remember their number bonds. Sometimes I wonder if they're actually ready for this - ie do they actually understand the principle of joining two groups together before we start asking them which particular groups go together to make ten!

I've given each child a card with a number of spots on and asking them to find a partner so that their cards together add up to ten - a nice lesson starter or plenary.

I also learned a lovely song when I was on teaching practise - it's to the tune of I can sing a rainbow:

Ten and zero or nine and one (to red and yellow and pink and green)
    Eight and two make ten (purple and orange and blue)
    Seven and Three-eee (I can sing a rainbow)
    Six and Four (sing a rainbow)
    Five and five make ten!

4. Pah. All my formatting went awry then. Hope it still makes sense

5. Number bonds are something that the children just need to learn by rote. I accept that they need to have the understanding as well so the practical ideas are useful. Have you played cheeka cheeka?
    I usually begin with writing all the number bonds to 10 on the board so they have this to refer to. Then keeping a rhythm going chant 'cheeka cheeka 3.' They have to chant back 'Cheeka cheeka 7 'and so on. Does this make sense? I know what I mean but it's easier to demonstrate than write down.

6. byjingo

byjingo New commenter

I also used a song to the tune of Frere Jacques. You sing it then the children repeat it......
    2 AND 8 repeat 2 and 8
    8 and 2 repeat 8 and 2
    Add them both together repeat
    That makes 10 repeat

Simple but the children asked over and over to sing it. Good for lining up or waiting in line once they know it.

Lara mfl 05 and knitmad like this.
  7. cinderella1

cinderella1 New commenter

Hi how about playing a dice game, label your dice with the numbers you need and have childrne throw one, we use one with numbers first, they then have to say the number they will need to make 10 and throw the other dice, if it makes 10 they get a golden egg, if not they dont. They quickly work out what number they need to get an egg. The one with the most eggs at the end of the game is the winner. You can have them record on IWB or a whiteboard the numbers that make 10.
    Outside make a type of hopscotch game, again use dice but they will need to hop to the first number thrown, then if they throw the right number to get to 10, they can complete and chalk up a tally under their name. If not back to the beginning.

8. Msz

Msz Established commenter

We often use skittles outdoors
    so 10 skittles if six are still standing how many did you knock down?
    Also with dominoes instead of playing the traditional game each player has to add a domino that will make a total of 10 ~ if the first domino is 4|5 the next player can put a 5 with the 5 to make 10 or a 6 with the 4...
    hope that makes sense

I usually do partitioning using chocolate buttons and 2 bowls
    Count out 10 buttons
    split the buttons into the two bowls and record all the ways you can
    you can only eat the buttons when you have found all the ways.
    (if you really worry that 10 chocolate buttons will destroy your healthy school status use grapes)

knitmad likes this.
  9. firecracker

firecracker New commenter

I have a number bond monster - 2 is his nose 8 (on it's side) is it's glasses 1 and 9 are it's legs 4 and 6 are it's arms 5 and 5 are it's eyes and 3 and 7 are it's ears ! try drawing it it might make more sense ! The kids really like making their own monsters and when we practice I do sort of actions but I don't think I can really describe them !!
    Hope this helps someone !
    fc

10. The Frere Jacques song is genius! I'm using this next week. Thank you.

11. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Abacus with ten beads on a row, or bead string of ten, or 10 fingers. With all of these things they can work out again and again all the different pairs of numbers that add to ten .......... if that is what you mean by number bonds to 10 (is it?)
    Calling them favourite friends seemed to help one of my children remember them off pat quite fast.
    Another quite nice thing is a cardboard book I have with the "ten in the bed" song in it, with photographs on each page of ten cuddly teddy bears. On each page you have one less teddy bear in the bed, and one more teddy bear on the floor. So this also could be used to work out all the different pairs, and show that it doesn't matter which way round you add up.
    This song is usually just used for counting backwards from 10, but has greater uses.

12. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Established commenter

Is this reception? It would seem very early to me to be thinking number bonds if it is, and so I wouldnt be surprised if many dont get it yet.
    Personally I dont think you need to teach number bonds by rote, children can learn number bonds (and then remember them) if they are taught at the right time with lots of opportuntiies to rehearse and practice. With opportuntieris to exlore them for themselves, they often start to 'see' the patterns..a big part of learning and unstanding maths.
    I know it most probably sounds obvious, (but when I was a maths coordinator I was dismayed how often I saw this), children cant understand number bonds if they dont have a really good grasp of counting sets up to 10 accurately. They also need an understanding of conservation of number..they need to know that the 10 objects are still 10 no matter how you separate or arrange them.
    Those of us old enough to remember the launch of the numeracy strategy will remember the 'flip flop' (Im sure it had other names). A laminated sheet containing 10 pictures (eg teddies) which can be folded in man ways.You fold and ask the children how many could they see, then how many can I see? But always returning to the fact that there are still 10 altogether...that doesnt change. My classes always loved this and used them themselves in their play, even making their own from card or paper.
    Another activity they liked was a set of objects (they liked using cups for some reason) and a cloth. Again you make constant reference to there being 10. You get them to close their eyes whilst you cover some, and ask how many can you see? How many are hidden? You will soon know which children are 'working out the answer' and which ones just 'know'. If children are still having to count the original 10 each time, then I would say they are not quite ready for number bonds yet.
    Best of luck with it

knitmad, missnoddles and dljames2013 like this.
  13. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Can they tell you what 1+1, 2+1,3+1 up to 9+1 is. If they cant, then they are not ready and you need to go back to 1 more than.
    Love the songs!

knitmad and dljames2013 like this.
  14. sadika

sadika New commenter

The original post was in the summer so the more advanced children could be working on this aspect! No way in September would any of mine be ready for this!!!

15. mystery10

Yes summer of reception, but not for all of them, sooner for some of course.

16. mystery10

And later for others (year 5 or 6 even!!)

17. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Established commenter

Aha thanks for that Sadika. For some reason I never look at when threads were started, but yes that would explan the query.

18. Might be a little late now, one activity that I found to work really well was to ask children to use their fingers. Put 3 fingers down how many left up? 3 and 7 makes 10!
    Hope it makes sense, we also told parents about it and they used to practice it at home in the same way, children seemed to understand the concept and have an intereactive way of finding the answer.

19. SianMatthews

SianMatthews New commenter

Old thread, but there might still be people using it for advice. We have recently released a blog post specifically on number bonds - why they are important to learn, how they link to other areas of maths and lots of creative task ideas for teaching. Hope it is useful :)

20. dbu

dbu New commenter

Numicon is amazing for this as they can fit together two pieces to sit on top of the ten piece. They visually get it and can see the relationships.
    We also do lots of questions like - 10 people will travel on two buses to the park. If 4 get on the first bus how many on the second? etc.
    good luck