1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Really struggling with differentation

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by scienceteacher11, Aug 9, 2011.

1. scienceteacher11

scienceteacher11 New commenter

I have been thinking a lot about ensuring i differentiate effectively but i'm struggling. If i give different student different tasks i think they are smart and will realise high ability kids have been given something else to do and this may lower their self esteem. is it better to give work that has diff levels to it and hope the high ability kids whiz through so they can access the more challenging work? Or maybe try and get them to help the lower ability children? Any top tips on differentiation would really be appreciated!

2. scienceteacher11

scienceteacher11 New commenter

I have been thinking a lot about ensuring i differentiate effectively but i'm struggling. If i give different student different tasks i think they are smart and will realise high ability kids have been given something else to do and this may lower their self esteem. is it better to give work that has diff levels to it and hope the high ability kids whiz through so they can access the more challenging work? Or maybe try and get them to help the lower ability children? Any top tips on differentiation would really be appreciated!

3. Took

Took New commenter

One of the best pieces of advice I was given about differentiation is that it is about ensuring that thhe work you are setting is accessible to all students and that you need to consider their 'blocks to learning' and differentiate appropriately.
    I was told that as you are planning each task in a lesson think about the students in your class and think "will they be able to access/ complete this?". If there is a student who may not understand part or all of it (possible ASD students), can't read it (possibly dyslexic),will finish it in 2 seconds (higher ability) then differentiate accordingly. This may be as simple as re wording it to creating a different sheet to adapting your questioning or, as someone mentioned above, providing TA support.
    I always, and still occassionally, struggled with differentiation because I always thought it was about producing loads of different sheets. This piece of advice made a lot of sense and helped me enormously. Hope it makes sense and helps you.
    Took