1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Really struggling with behaviour

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by kirby42, Jan 8, 2019.

1. kirby42

kirby42 New commenter

I'm approaching the end of my first placement, less than three weeks left. But I'm burnt and stressed out. I spend most of the waking day working and planning for my five different classes. Four of them go okay for the most part, but one has me at my wits end. They're very low level (subject = English), the entire class feels like riot control. I can't get them to stop chatting and chat to people across the room and at different tables. I absolutely dread going to school because of them and it's totally putting me off teaching. I was off sick today with a bug, and I was glad. Throwing up in the toilet at home was preferable to teaching them. What can I do?

2. emilyc25

emilyc25 New commenter

You only have three weeks left, so that's a plus!! Hopefully you can stick it out until then.

Have you spoken to the head of year? What is your school's sanction process like? I have had classes like that and to support me my department put the two main offenders in isolation for two weeks during my lessons (and a few others as they weren't only bad for me). In their absence I managed to win the group over and when they returned they were still annoying little whatsits but their impact was smaller as everyone else basically ignored them.

Speak to your supervisor, and if they aren't helpful, learn from this and move on in your next placement.

You got this!!

3. with_usura

with_usura New commenter

Hi there,

As another trainee who struggles with behaviour management, I feel your pain! I get on very well with some classes, but others...

Plenty of people find it hard to build up the reflex to "crack the whip" early on and consistently to let a class know that you mean business. I made it my focus with one class, had them where I wanted them and made good progress. Then after a few weeks, I let my guard slip once (didn't issue a sanction for a student getting out of their seat, just asked them to sit back down) and all hell broke loose. Back to square one!

Do not let it get to you, even though it's easy to let it happen. Make sure you're getting well rounded feedback from your mentor, be conscious of your strenghts and well as your weaknesess. It's tough to make progress without taking a holistic view!

Best of luck to you!

4. imaginarynumbers

imaginarynumbers New commenter

Good advice here ^^

Also, ask your mentor to recommend a teacher in school who is brilliant at behaviour management, observe them and then quiz them afterwards about what routines did they build up to get their class like that - classes don't just behave impeccably without being trained and instructed over a number of lessons.

5. tigi

tigi Occasional commenter

It's much harder to get good behaviour as a trainee as well, kids have got a sense for when the "real" teacher isn't in charge. With difficult classes you just have to persevere. Sometimes they end up being quite nice really! Others you are always having to stay on top of.