1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

really struggling - new to media

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by floyd1985, Sep 13, 2011.

1. hi, i've just started at a new school in charge of music, performing arts and media and i have no resources for Media. I'm finishing off the year 11 course with Moving Image and all i've been left with is 4 different film trailers for them to watch. i wondered if anyone had anything else i could have pleeeeeeeeease! for the practical production 12-page-planning, what can this include for Moving Image?? i don't really understand what they have to research?
    the school are not letting me on a course because it's too expensive, so i've really not got much in the way of help, so i would really appreciate anything. even a scheme of work over the course of the Single Award over 2 years.
    also, for assignment 1, we're doing DVD packaging, assignment 2, Print and then Moving Image for assignment 3
    and does everyone usually do all the planning or TV crime drama in the last term?? and where do you usually get hold of dvds for this, or do they have to come out of school budget?! i thought there must be something somewhere seeing as though it changes every year!!
    i hope someone can give me some guidance....tears have been shed at least 3 times trying to get my head round it :(

2. ThereAreBunniesInMyHead

ThereAreBunniesInMyHead Occasional commenter

Although I do Magazines for Assignment 3, the planning we do might be able to be adapted for Moving Image. Mine do
    1) Analysis of two magazine front covers (yours could analyse two moving image products)
    2) Questionnaires to research target audience / Interviews / Focus groups
    3) Research into magazine industry / success of existing magazines (yours could research whatever moving image product you are making and why they are successful)
    4) Proposal for their own magazine detailing title, content, price, audience, why it would be popular, why it is unique, what conventions it will follow or challenge and why etc. (Again yours could do the same for moving image ideas)
    5) Sketches for their own magazine front covers / contents pages etc (Yours could storyboard out their own moving image products)
    This normally takes up 10-15 pages and then they pick the best 12 pages..

As for TV Crime Drama, we normally start that in January / February although I know other centres start a lot later.. We do it so they can get a head start and then come back to coursework to tidy it up just before the deadline. We were fortunate enough to have a big budget for DVD's this year. BUT I also spent a large amount of time in the holidays ploughing through clips from TV Dramas and Credit Sequences from TV Dramas on You Tube so that we had links to clips on there too..

3. Thankyou so much for that breakdown.so much help.I was so confused but that's a massive help.hopefully I'll get these year 11s through it :) xxx

4. Ooh by the way, the tv crime drama stuff.do u mean u start in jan/feb of year 11 so near to the actual exam??thanks :)

5. Hi.A key part of getting your students to engage with the subject is to instill the importance of them assessing the wider Media outside of the lesson - the more analysis and understanding of Media they have (production process, messages and values, approaching and targetting audiences etc) the easier the concepts and analysis within the lessons will be.

The reason I say this is that it helps you breathe a bit and not struggle to grapple within the subject, timings and schemes of learning - get them to take ownership of the subject!
    I have found this especially useful in how they analyse TV crime - types of progs, narrative structure, prog schedules, technology, aud etc. I set them activities whereby they had to watch a particular extract (found on youtube) and come up with responses to posed questions, which they brought back into the lessons. It freed up lesson time, got them to wake up a bit about doing work outside of lessons and allowed them to do work using their usual choice of technology (youtube, blogs etc).

6. Go to http://media.edusites.co.uk - all the resources are there (schemes, associated materials and guides), plus teaching Media Studies help from an AST in Media, CPD, training and your students can even access the resources.

Hope it helps

Oh - and there is heaps on TV Crime - look at the free reveal to start.

7. aussieguy1977

aussieguy1977 New commenter

Hi, I've just put up a year's worth of Media Studies AQA coursework outlines and stuff that you might find useful - also a timeline for a one-year course and a planning booklet for the third assessment, but it's for the magazine. You could swap maybe? I do DVD Promotion, Music Videos and the final Magazine. Hope it helps...

8. aussieguy1977

aussieguy1977 New commenter

... in the Resources section!