1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Really sore arm after blood test!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Frances1985, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I had a blood test done today. Normally when I have them they are absolutely fine. Nurses tell me I have 'great veins' and I usually only feel a scratch when the needle goes in and there is barely a mark afterwards. However, today, it was really painful and I have been left with a huge bruise! It really hurts to move my arm and I can't carry my handbag on that side. Has anyone experienced this? Perhaps it was the technique of the nurse but blimey, my arm is blue!

2. Hi all,
    I had a blood test done today. Normally when I have them they are absolutely fine. Nurses tell me I have 'great veins' and I usually only feel a scratch when the needle goes in and there is barely a mark afterwards. However, today, it was really painful and I have been left with a huge bruise! It really hurts to move my arm and I can't carry my handbag on that side. Has anyone experienced this? Perhaps it was the technique of the nurse but blimey, my arm is blue!

3. Yep. Ended up looking like I had been in a fight and lost after I gave blood. They messed it up royally and I had a very bruised arm for some time!

4. Some are better than others. Sometimes they miss. I won't elaborate on the other slight miscalculations someone having a bad day might make because it will only make your arm feel worse! All temporary!

5. Haha I dread to think!

6. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Yes, I had this - a bruise all down my arm, and then a different bit of my arm really hurt.

It went after a week or so.

7. last time I gave blood (which is longer ago than I would like),I ended up with a large bruise, and soreness. It happens sometimes.
    Arnica helps with bruising, and ice might reduce swelling