1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Really Small Class

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Thoresby_house, Jan 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Thoresby_house

Thoresby_house New commenter

Hi, I'm due to start teaching my first class since I graduated soon. I've got a job in a lovely, lovely school and I'm teaching upper juniors. There are six children in my class, but I've only ever worked with large classes on placement. I was wondering if anyone had any tips?

Thanks,

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Six children gives you a perfect opportunity to really tailor your teaching and the work to the individuals. So I'd definitely ask to see where each child 'fits' re their year targets. Then you can start working out how to tailor the lessons.

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

You'll find it weird to start and then after a while wonder how the heck you ever managed a class of 30.

I went from classes of 30 and more to a class of 9. Was brilliant. Then I got a class of 17 and it seems a terribly onerous task!

Just teach as you would, but realise every child gets far more of your time and attention, but also far more chance to show what they know.

If you've gone to an independent with a class of 6 in UKS2, then be aware the school may not be sustainable. There may not be cause to worry, but be prepared.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. Thoresby_house

Thankyou for your answer :)

I've got a bigger class coming up next year and feel a bit bleurgh about having 'so many' already! It's an anomalous class - the school usually has bigger year groups but this one has always been smaller and some have left, but thanks for the heads up!

5. Thoresby_house

I am actually looking forward to setting targets this year! Thankyou :)

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Ahhhh in that case, relax and enjoy it!

I still teach that very small class for a couple of subjects and it always makes me think 'this is what your parents pay for!

7. Kiwilander

Kiwilander Occasional commenter

Small classes are great. You can set individual targets for each student. You get to know the students extremely well and can identify what makes them learn the best.