1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Really Small Class

Discussion in 'Independent' started by Thoresby_house, Jan 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Thoresby_house

Thoresby_house New commenter

Hi, I'm due to start teaching my first class since I graduated soon. I've got a job in a lovely, lovely school and I'm teaching upper juniors. There are six children in my class, but I've only ever worked with large classes on placement. I was wondering if anyone had any tips?

Thanks,

2. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

It's actually a good number as you can do pair work or groups of 3 for activities or team work. You'll also be able to do more 1-2-1 if you need to work with one student, etc.

Beware, however, possible friendship issues with such a small group, you might want to consider moving seats from time to time, changing seating and watching behaviour, particularly non-verbal.

I work in a secondary girls independent and I really enjoy the pastoral and academic aspect. Good luck!

3. oscillator

oscillator New commenter

Prepare lots of activities, as you will want to keep a good pace on the lessons. Behaviour will not be the same issue in a large class, so you may well find you get through material quite quickly!

4. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Occasional commenter

You will have the opportunity to plan some really interesting activities which you wouldn't be able to do with large numbers - practical activities and activities which use the grounds or outdoor space (especially when the weather gets better). The whole class might be able to work collaboratively on a project - in Art, English or a Maths investigation.