1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Really quick answer from all primary heads...

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by mickeyforpresident, Feb 26, 2011.

1. mickeyforpresident

mickeyforpresident New commenter

Hi everyone,
    We're in the middle of a massive curriculum re-design and i wanted a straw poll of how long you spend teaching maths. At the moment we have 1x60 minute lesson a day and an additional half hour a week in KS2 for tables etc. I want to drop one session and only have 4 a week (which mirrors our literacy, although in Literacy we do have 4 x 1 hours plus 5 x 30 mins guided reading and research tasks). The reason I want to drop one is that i want to create a little more balance, but also create "themey" days...

So, very quickly how much time does your school spend on Maths teaching?????

Also, how many hours of P.E. do you have. We timetable 2 x 1 hour, but I'm toying with reducing this to 1 hour plus strong arming all kids to attend at least one After School SPorts club....

Thanks for any sharing done...

2. mickeyforpresident

mickeyforpresident New commenter

Hi everyone,
    We're in the middle of a massive curriculum re-design and i wanted a straw poll of how long you spend teaching maths. At the moment we have 1x60 minute lesson a day and an additional half hour a week in KS2 for tables etc. I want to drop one session and only have 4 a week (which mirrors our literacy, although in Literacy we do have 4 x 1 hours plus 5 x 30 mins guided reading and research tasks). The reason I want to drop one is that i want to create a little more balance, but also create "themey" days...

So, very quickly how much time does your school spend on Maths teaching?????

Also, how many hours of P.E. do you have. We timetable 2 x 1 hour, but I'm toying with reducing this to 1 hour plus strong arming all kids to attend at least one After School SPorts club....

Thanks for any sharing done...

3. I think it depends very much on the 'pupil outcomes' of your school. If you have a strong history of good attainment then a reduction would not be serious as long as it did not impact on that.
    We do not, so do at least 5 hours per week, 5 x 1h40m Literacy. And we do our 2hrs pw PE.
    You can still do 'themey days' including some maths.

4. Hi Mickey
    We do 4x60 number, SSM, data etc
    and 1x60 teaching problem solving skills-each half term we have a different focus, last half term was searching for patterns (whole school) with a problem solving assessment 4 times a year. I've found this has had a real impact on raising standards.
    Literacy is taught through topics

5. greta444

greta444 New commenter

We do 4 x 60 mins of maths per week. However, data is usually taught through other subjects such as science and geography. So when data comes up in the scheme, we tend to do number instead.
    Please don't reduce your P.E. Children get little enough exercise as it is. Reduce something else like music or R.E.!