1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Really need to get this job - help and advice please!

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by maggieDD, Jun 10, 2011.

1. maggieDD

maggieDD New commenter

Hello
    I would be very grateful if anyone could give me some advice on interview techniques for a teaching assistant job I've applied for.
    I have completed a course with the Open University "Supporting Learning in Primary Schools" and I've had 15 months experience volunteering in a primary school.
    I have applied for several jobs and attended quite a few interviews but I haven't yet been offered a position. The reasons I've been given have been that another canidate has had more experience, but the last job I didn't get I was told the reason was that someone else gave more expansive answers.
    If anyone has any tips on answers that intervewees are expecting that would be most helpful as I really do want this job! :)

Thank you

Maggie

2. maggieDD

maggieDD New commenter

Oh, and they asked me to bring in a portfolio of anything I've done [​IMG]
    Aside from my certificate for the OU course, and a St John Ambulance first aid course, I don't know what else would be relevant. Any ideas please? :)

3. Would you be able to put your coursework and any positive feedback recieved in a portfolio?

4. maggieDD

maggieDD New commenter

Thank you :)

I've put together my certificates from the OU courses I've done, my First Aid certificate I recently got, some feedback from essays I've written and also a sample of some cards that the children made me when I left the school I volunteered at (do you think that's suitable)?

5. Some statements/references from your voluntary placements detailing the tasks you were involved in and how you supported the pupils.

6. maggieDD

maggieDD New commenter

I got the job!! :)

7. Congratulations![​IMG]