1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Really need some advice/support

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by justbrowsing, Jan 2, 2012.

1. It sounds to me as if you need to consult your union and your GP, not necessarily in that order. You dont sound well enough to return to work at the moment nor does your school sound like a very supportive place to be.
    Big hugs. Take care.

2. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

That HLTA is a problem!
    She's been there since dinosaurs ruled the earth and has the ear of everyone that matters. It will be hard to overcome this. But just chill.
    In my working life I have often found that those barriers that seemed so big when I first started posts were often removed within quite a small time frame and eventually I found myself the old hand with newbies to support. This will happen here.
    You have had two sickies and will trigger absence monitoring with the next sick absence. So if you get flu - stay off until you are well.
    I am sure the HLTA will manage the class while you are off, whilst moaning like mad about how great she is and how hard she works etc etc etc etc.
    You have been bereaved. Be kind to yourself. Do what you need to do and no more. Do not rush around trying to prove yourself invincible or indispendable. There will be time and there is much work to do both now and in the future. It is most important that you relax and enjoy your work and find time to laugh and to enjoy the amusing side of teaching in primary.
    This HLTA is picking up on your weaknesses and that you are low and is not being very kind at all.
    Treat this as a temporary post - it is not but actually it helps to think that work place scenarios are transient and you know what? You can actually look around for other jobs if you want to . Nothing to stop you doing this for next year. Or you can stay.
    Whatever you decide just make sure that you look after yourself and give yourself time to get over what has been so traumatic.
    Take care

3. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

You really need the support of your union. Get a copy of the absence policy and get your union to check that it is being applied fairly. They can't just use it for you if others have had similar absences. I think that it is a good idea to look for other jobs. It sounds an awful place to work. Go see your GP and see what support you can get.

4. From what you have said i disagree with the earlier poster and nothing sounds like your unwell enough to return to work. You have been unfortunate to catch a bug, simple as that but because of your previous absence your being made to feel guilty.

You do need to stamp your foot down on the HLTA. Give her a copy of your lesson plans (if she is in your lessons) with no discussion on 'what do you think?' This is what we are doing and thats it! Keep your head, easier said than done i know. Good luck.

5. Is you Head a new Head Teacher or you have an acting Head?
    Have you been caught up in a time of management change during which clear leadership is missing? I am just surprised that the HLTA seems to have influence beyond her role.
    In the interests of staff morale and cohesion any staff governer needs to tread carefully or risk causing uneccesary stress to their colleagues, particularly new staff members who are already having to take on board a whole raft of new stuff.
    Have you contacted your Trade Union for advice?