1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Really need help urgently - Elements of Gothic for L:ITB3?

Discussion in 'English' started by chocolateheaven, May 7, 2012.

1. chocolateheaven

chocolateheaven New commenter

A friend of my parents has asked me to help her
    daughter with her A2 Lit. She's struggling to get the B that she needs
    for her uni place, and has asked if I can help. I've never taught AQA
    Lit, and haven't taught A2 Lit with any board for a few years. She's studied
    Frankenstein, The Bloody Chamber (which I don't know) Paradise Lost 1
    and 2 (which I read years ago) and Dr Faustus (which she thinks she
    won't use as she only needs 3 texts?). She mainly wants help with essay
    writing and exam technique. Don't suppose you have any resources that I
    can pass her way/work through with her do you, or any advice as to where to begin or look for resources?

I'd be eternally grateful for anyway that you could help me!

2. chocolateheaven

A friend of my parents has asked me to help her
    daughter with her A2 Lit. She's struggling to get the B that she needs
    for her uni place, and has asked if I can help. I've never taught AQA
    Lit, and haven't taught A2 Lit with any board for a few years. She's studied
    Frankenstein, The Bloody Chamber (which I don't know) Paradise Lost 1
    and 2 (which I read years ago) and Dr Faustus (which she thinks she
    won't use as she only needs 3 texts?). She mainly wants help with essay
    writing and exam technique. Don't suppose you have any resources that I
    can pass her way/work through with her do you, or any advice as to where to begin or look for resources?

I'd be eternally grateful for anyway that you could help me!

3. ZIgzag education do workbooks specifically tailored to this spec and texts, but you are looking at about £40-£60 per text. The parents may be willing to pay this given that they are already paying for tuition. Phillip Allen updates also do great study guides for the texts mentioned. I'd begin by digging out past papers and mark schemes on the AQA site.

4. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

Examiners reports here:
    http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-LITB3-W-WRE-JAN11.PDF
    http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-LITB3-W-WRE-JUN11.PDF
    The absolute key is to read the questions <u>very carefully</u>. Examiners frequently comment that key words in the questions are ignored.
    Never make a contextual statement without comment. The one which drives me potty is 'Angela Carter was writing in a patriarchal society'. First of all, this is not accurate in the 1970s; secondly it is meaningless if not linked with an analysis of the stories/story.
    Finally, remember that all the AOs are equally weighted - which is not true at AS.
    I'd suggest looking at some old papers - available on the AQA web site - and highlighting key words. Also look at the mark scheme, though it's not wildly helpful. The comments on what may be included in answers can be enlightening, though. There's always something you've not thought of.

5. chocolateheaven

Thank you so much for the tips! Will look into ZigZag. Her parents aren't actually paying me, I'm just helping out. Am on mat leave at the moment and haven't been at work since the summer holidays, and brain is feeling a little mushy!
    Thanks for that - I hadn't picked up on that, good to know!

6. 'Angela Carter was writing in a patriarchal society'. First of all, this is not accurate in the 1970s...'
    Why is this not accurate in the 70s?

7. gruoch

The book was published in 1979.
    The Equal Pay Act came into force in 1970
    The Sex Discrimination Act came into force in 1976
    The Married Woman's Property Act had been in force for 15 years
    There was a woman prime minister - something which seems extraordinary in 2012, whatever your view of Margaret Thatcher.
    Angela Carter was a feminist - but so am I.

8. gruoch

My complaint is about the bald statement without any reflection on how it relates to the text. I don't give a flying wossit about the accuracy, tbh - as long as the candidate relates what they say to the text.

9. I posted thoughts on this year's examiners' training on my blog - It might help you with your approach. Taker a look:

http://jwpblog.wordpress.com/2012/05/13/aqa-lit-b-3-examiners-meeting/
    plenty of other material for LItB and other courses on here, so have a browse -not promising A+s, but trying to provoke students to respond. All material originally written for my current Y13s.

Jonathan