1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Really need help please (I'm a trainee)

Discussion in 'Primary' started by primary112, Sep 14, 2011.

1. primary112

primary112 New commenter

Hi. I'm really hoping someone on here can help me. I'm desperate! I'm a final year trainee and my school coordinator wants to see my QTS file on Friday as well as about 5 others on my course. We all have her as a coordinator. She's seen my file before but she wants to collect them in on Friday (this week) to have a good look through them. I've managed to do all of the standards except 3a and I really don't know fully what it means or what to include as two pieces of evidence. I have no idea where to get the evidence from or what would be appropriate. Please would somebody help me or preferably, give me a link to some evidence/email me something I could annotate? I really do work incredibly hard and have done all the others. I'm close to tears because I'm desperate to get this standard done but I just feel completely lost and have no idea what to put for it. Please help!
    The standard is: Be aware of the professional duties of teachers and the statutory framework within which they work.
    If you have any evidence which I could use for the file, please send me a message on here and I'll give you my email address. It would really mean an awful lot to me. I've been trying to figure it out for ages and I still have no idea. I feel completely clueless. It's not something I've covered on my course, but I know that I should know it. If you can help please do! I'm incredibly stressed.

2. http://sdvaughan.edublogs.org/files/2008/11/Q3a-Be-aware-of-the-professional-duties-of-teachers-and-the-statutory-framework-within-which-they-work.1.pdf
    http://www.pgce.soton.ac.uk/IT/Training/Documents/StatutoryFrameworks/!StatutoryFrameworksrelatingtoQTS.pdf
    Hope this helps

3. Hi,
    I found this from deep inside some old documents. I don't remember where it came from!
    Role and Responsibilities of a Teacher

<u>Towards Themselves</u>

• To be a teacher out of choice, and not by default.
    • To acquire relevant professional education and training to get the right concepts of teaching.
    • Honesty and sincerity towards the profession.
    • Accept that being a teacher does not make you a 'know it all'; so
      it's important to become a partner in the learning cycle with your
      students.
    • Accept that no two students will think, act and react alike, and to respect that diversity.
    • Upgrade knowledge and learn new ways of teaching.
    • Avoid indulging in unethical behavior, and at all times maintain the dignity a teacher-student relation.
    <u>Towards Students</u>

• Inculcate model behavior and mannerisms by self example.
    • Prepare long-term teaching programs and daily lessons in accordance with the guidelines of the school's education system.
    • Provide activities and materials that engage and challenge the students intellectually.
    • Understand and implement the use of information technology in lesson preparation and teaching.
    • Shift between a formal and an informal method of teaching; debates,
      discussions, practical activities, experiments, projects and excursions.
    • Plan, set and evaluate grade test, exams and assignments.
    • Supervise student conduct during class, lunchtime and other breaks.
    • Understand the diverse background students come from, their strength, weakness and areas of interest.
    • Be honest in student appraisal, avoid favoritism.
    • Enforce discipline by firmly setting class room rules.
    • Resolve conflict among students by encouraging positive debate.
    • Be ready to adjust teaching styles to meet individual needs of students.
    <u>Towards Parents</u>

• Keep the parents well informed about their ward's progress.
    • Take time out to discuss an issue, or a problematic behavior.
    • Encourage parents to promote various diverse interests of their children.
    • Inform the parents about after school activities; excursions, meetings as well as detention.
    • Keep the parent feedback journal updated.
    • Encourage parent participation in parent-teacher meets.
    • Finally, work with the parents for the betterment of the student's future.
    <u>Towards Management</u>

• Actively involve yourself in all staff meetings, educational conferences and school programs.
    • Voluntarily participate in organizing sporting events, and other
      excursions like camping trips, picnics, educational tours, etc.
    • Maintain a healthy relation with all teaching and non-teaching staff members.
    • Help out in formulating school policies.
    • Carry out administrative duties relevant to your position in the school.
    Obviously American, but it may guide you forwards!
    Don't stress! There will be plenty of time for that in the future!
    Best of luck! It really is the best career out there![​IMG]

4. Hi,

For this standard I included reflections from break duty (signed by mentor), annotated school policies for example taking the register, marking, assessment. I also included a lesson plan showing differentiation and and assessment.
    Hope this helps.

5. I put in examples of planning that had National Curriculum and Standards referenced on it.
    I also put in evidence that I had joined GTC, their code of conduct hightlighted and annotated to show I had read it and adhere to it. Hope that helps - good luck : )

6. Been a while since I had to unpick a standard like this but could you not use the national curriculum for this? Perhaps photocopy/print out and highlight what you have covered - alongside a sequence of lesson plans perhaps (weekly if using maths/english, or a medium term plan for a foundation subject). Or just annotate a lesson plan with the relevant NC links?

You could also annotate a school's child protection policy / write up an incident where you needed to apply it.

Also, when I trained I was given observation reports/mid-term and end-of placement reviews with comments on different sections of the standards. One of those was professional values. Do you have any written feedback from school or placement mentors that would comment on this?

Sorry if I'm missing the point but this seems like one of those waffly standards which basically sum up the entire job - "Be aware of professional duties... and statutory frameworks..." I am sure you must have evidence of this throughout the course so panic ye not!!