1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Really, how did he get away with this?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by monicabilongame, Dec 19, 2015.

1. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Probably related to/friend of the house of Saud, and we mustn't offend them!

3. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

It's a silly headline but if the jury did not reasonably doubt the accuser's story then they would have found the accused guilty.

4. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Have you read the accused's story? It's ridiculous.

5. Biles

Biles Established commenter

Perhaps we should not have trial by jury as they come to the wrong verdict. Should we have trial by a panel of judges instead?

6. Vince_Ulam

I have read what has been reported in the media from the accused's testimony, yes, and it's not ridiculous unless guilt is presupposed and an entire trial is summed in a single headline. The jury weighed the accused's testimony against that of his accuser and did not convict, all we get is a silly headline.

7. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

So he has sex with her friend and still has semen on his hands (is that a thing guys?) and he goes to check this girl is ok on the couch. The girl decides she wants to have sex with him so places his semeny hand on her vagina (explaining how his semen was discovered in her vagina) and then pulls her towards him. He falls on top of her and because he's just had sex, his penis is poking out of his pants and as he falls it penetrates her.
    Dunno about you but sounds legit. I mean, who doesn't go to check on houseguests while still sticky with post-sex residue? And it's only natural, when falling, to fall groin first onto something, rather than say, putting your arms out or adjusting your legs to retain balance. I'm sure this is exactly what he explained to the jury in his private testimony.

And people still question why rape is such an underreported crime.

8. Vince_Ulam

Some may choose to convict on the basis of monolateral media reports but I do not.

9. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

10. Vince_Ulam

Why, because 'statistics' are a good way of judging a profession's efficacy? I'm struggling to think of another profession where that is uncontroversial.

It comes down to whether you want to trust a headline or trust a jury.

11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I think there must be more to this case than is being reported... the reported facts seem to indicate guilt [to me] but the jury only took 30 mins to determine innocence... so either there is something else to it? or the prosecution case was flawed? or something else I haven't thought of because I'm not a legal bod.

Course, the guy being Saudi... and the initial story being reported in the Mail... probably not a sympathetic spin on the story.

anotherauntsally and Vince_Ulam like this.
  12. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Sadly, when it comes to cases of rape, I don't really trust a jury. It's still a world that focuses too heavily on the behaviour of the victim rather than the alleged attacker, and one where there is still a perception that rape claims are something that women will make *****-nilly, for fame, or money or status, or because they wake up filled with regret and don't want to be labelled a ****, or they want to get revenge on some guy who didn't call the next day.
    When it comes to cases where the alleged rapist is a billionaire who is allowed to give testimony in private, and his story makes no logical sense, and it took just 30 minutes to acquit, then I trust the jury even less.

13. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

14. Vince_Ulam

Then presumably you wouldn't trust this jury had they returned a guilty verdict.

I trust the jury and judge here more that I trust media reports and the people who would convict from them: The accused in this case was not a billionaire.

15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Another thing that strikes me is the resources available to the two sides... how much did state put into the prosecution? ... and what was the quality of the defence the millionaire accused was able to purchase?

A query only... I'm not sure what the answer is...

Is justice blind to wealth?

16. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Good questions.

17. Biles

Biles Established commenter

I don't think there is a way to make juries return the verdict you want. In we only had judges and no juries, they might not return the verdict you want. There seems to be no easy solution.

The nearest to get to what you want is X-factor style voting where the public vote guilty or not guilty based on newspaper reporting and their prejudices against rich/poor, white/black etc.

18. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Sorry Millionaire.

The fact that guilty verdicts are so rare in comparison to the amount of claims made, it suggests that the issue is more with the guilty being found not, than the other way round. Therefore, chances are a guilty verdict is a bit more reliable than an not guilty verdict.

19. Vince_Ulam

The prosecution was in the same league as the defence.

20. Vince_Ulam

No, it suggests that people are willing to make false accusations as an means to inflict a great deal of damage to a person's reputation and state of mind for relatively minor personal costs and potential gains.