1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Really Gutted! Beware

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Jackie12, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Jackie12

Jackie12 New commenter

after visiting a school and thinking it was the right job for me I decided to apply, taking my time listening to all advice given on here especially. I wrote my application. I knew I was in with a good chance as I had a friend at the school who told me there was an internal candidate but he did not have the necessary experience as it was a very senior position( not going to say too much in case I'm recognised). So after a lengthy wait I heard nothing and was so disappointed to hear that he had got the job!
    Being annoyed at not even having a rejection letter I complained to the school and was told that no application was received .Finally, a representative from the academy chain got in touch and said it was a glitch! Really! They had told me they received my application on the day it was sent but somehow it hadn't made its way to the school! How disgusted am I , Inside job? Only 2 candidates- both internal- both male-definitely. What can I do? - nothing! Now I will make sure I check with the schools they have received my applications instead of just waiting for them to reply!

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I'd share this with my Union in case there is a pattern of sexist (or racist or homophobic) behaviour in this Trust's appointment procedures.

Oh... and why not take the Trust through the small claims court for the cost of your wasted application - you might get some £££s?

3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

On the other hand, i was appointed to a job i didn't expect to get where there had been a much more experienced candidate. i know she delivered her application by hand to the County offices and I have always thought it must have gone astray. That was in 1986.
    In your case i think it is completely disgusting and it's easy to think that it does smack of more than carelessness. You are right to be furious.
    Good luck with the next one.

4. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Friends in the mail room?

5. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

OK, I know you're miffed but you didn't have a good chance. That bloke had his name on it from the outset. It's always been like that. Some jobs really are open to all and go to the best (or what passes for best at the lottery that's known as 'interview') and some are earmarked for the HT's mate.

At least you didn't waste your time having to go to the pointless interview. Remember that academies are in an even stronger position to go their own way and please themselves without accounting to anyone except themselves.

You wouldn't have liked it there. It wasn't for you. Don't waste time now getting cross about it because it was never going to happen.

You will get the job you need somewhere else but that wasn't it.

sabrinakat likes this.
  6. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

out of all the jobs i've applied for, i've only had one rejection letter for an application. it said i was too expensive, which was honest if nothing else... i never expect to get one.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  7. grumpydogwoman

That IS honest @emilystrange

I appreciate honesty. There's so much BS in teaching.

8. emilystrange

they were very polite, and it was a proper letter, not an email.
    mind you, i was only on M4 at the time :D

9. grumpydogwoman

How much did they (not) want to pay? Heavens!

10. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Almost every non-teaching job I have applied for has replied in some form. These days is normally via email and many even reply to acknowledge the receipt of the application in addition to a response to the application. However a large number of teaching applications I have made have gone unreplied (not that I bother now).

It cost nothing and takes very little time to extend this professional courtesy to someone who has taken the interest and time to apply for a position within an organisation. Why does teaching think it doesn't apply to them?

cissy3 and FrankWolley like this.
  11. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

The only times I have received a letter after the event was from independent schools. I have always given my application form into the school by hand. Now that there is email, I would send my application by email AND hand in a hard copy.

12. emilystrange

I haven't applied for jobs for a few years now, but I did end up asking for confirmation of arrival by email then chasing up if i didn't get one.

FrankWolley likes this.