1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Really frustrated

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Sneakerhead1907, Jul 23, 2020.

1. Sneakerhead1907

Sneakerhead1907 New commenter

I am a TA in a primary school working with another TA teaching PE. We plan, deliver and assess all lessons with the majority of the planning done by my colleague. Our lessons are covering PPA time across the school. Our contracts are exactly the same but they have completed an NVQ level 5 which I am about to complete too. I have more experience teaching sports and working with children ( 27 years with recognised qualifications ). I am being paid less money and have been told that my pay would not be adjusted upwards unless I take on the extra responsibility which is not specified in our contracts. My colleague has a verbal agreement with the HT but nothing on paper. Can anyone shed some light on what’s going on? Is it an equality matter? Am I being taken for a ride and can it be resolved without causing problems down the line? Should I involve my union? Would appreciate any thoughts regarding this. I realise it’s a long post with many different aspects so apologies in advance

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Hi Sneakerhead1907, sorry you are feeling like this. My first thought is that I wouldn't be thinking about talking to my union at this stage - I don't think they'd be able to do much anyway. I do understand that you feel that you're doing the same job as your colleague - and you do seem to have a great deal of responsibility in your role. You also have a great deal of experience.

I think you need a meeting with your line manager/PE co-ordinator and/or Head Teacher. Key points in your post seem to be that the other TA does the majority of the planning, and also has a level 5 qualification. These appear to be the main differences. I'm not sure what the 'extra responsibility which is not specified in your contract' is. I don't think there would be a problem with asking if you could move up the salary scale when you have completed your level 5, if you are willing to take on the planning for the lessons you teach. It is a huge responsibility for TAs, but Head Teachers are allowed to do it if they are confident that the person involved is capable and qualified.

Sorry if this isn't much help, but I definitely think talking calmly and asking the right questions is the way to go - best of luck.

3. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

You signed a contract agreeing to your terms and conditions, andthey signed a contract agreeing to their terms and conditions.

Depending on exactly what you signed, you could be disciplined for even diclosing, discussing or asking another colegue about their salary

sooooexcited likes this.