1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Really downhearted - PGCE student job hunting!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by rjoneslich, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Hi there, I'm currently a History PGCE student with a reasonable amount of experience within the educational world - I was a TA for a couple of years before starting my PGCE course. I've applied for 8-9 jobs, all in different geographical locations as being flexible (or so I thought!) would help me! I have not heard anything back from any of them! It is really doing me down at the moment. I got my covering letter checked by my professional mentor at my Placement A school, and he said it was 'good'. I suppose all I have to do is keep on applying, but I now reckon i'm not going to get a job - what do people think I could do instead if I were not to get a job? Many thanks

2. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

Sorry, 9 applications isn't enough to get yourself down about it. I assume you're due to qualify in July...? If so, that's months and plenty more time/jobs to go for.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

By many people's standards 8-9 applications isn't so many.
    So have you read all Theo's advice in the clickables at the start of this forum?
    Job hunting season is only just starting- between now & end of May is the 'main season', s0 get looking so your next few applications show you in the best possible light to crack the interview & then the job!

4. I was in your position a couple of years ago (and currently am because I want to move jobs) and it is hard when you don't hear anything from your applications. The way I saw it was that a school that didn't have the politeness to get in touch and say I was unsuccessful (unless they put a time limit on hearing back), was not the sort of school that I would want to work at (this may or may not have been true but it helped me).
    Also as other posters have said, it is still early days in the job hunting season. In addition, you have the advantage that you can apply for the jobs that come up in June that established teachers can't because of the cut-off dates for handing your notice in.
    My tip would be to get your letter checked by another person or, even better, the Head of History/Humanities at the school you are on placement at. As a HoD, they know what they are looking for in a covering letter!

Good luck!

5. Oh well, one out of three isn't bad ;-)
    I guess I'm old fashioned, I still think that schools could at least email applicants to say that they are unsuccessful.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Think about it. 100 or 200 e-mails to send out. Or even 350. The applications don't automatically turn themselves into a mailing list, so it would have to be done individually.
    By the School Sec who is also getting kids to sign the late Book, answering the phone, collecting in registers, confirming the numbers for dinners, up-dating the website, and making coffee for the Head.
    It's not such a tiny job as you think, which is why schools have had to stop doing it, now application numbers are so high.
    There is now another seminar on Applying for Senior Leadership on 13th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop17.eventbrite.com
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

7. bobbycatrules

bobbycatrules New commenter

Maybe you should look round all the TES forums a bit more, then you will realise that there are so many teachers who have received their PGCE from one+ years ago and who haven't got a job, nor even began their NQT year. You need to get real about the job prospects of teachers in the current climate. Eight or nine applications is not many compared to others on the forums who have made 100+ applications with no success.

8. NNS

NNS New commenter

That does not sound very promising... but then again, I know a lot of people from previous years who have not yet managed to
    secure a place, but who have been waiting for jobs
    around the corner or cant move from their region, etc. so I dont think generalising helps
    here...

I for one am surrounded by people who got the job on their fist application, on their very first interview. Every other trainee in my school already has a job to be exact and a few of my curriculum friends so so as well, so I feel there is a lot more pressure on me now...

None of the schools I have applied for has got in touch with me,I try not to get downhearted, and I keep on telling myself there is going to be more jobs later on, but knowing that some of my colleagues go the interviews already while I don't makes me wonder whether there is something Im doing wrong, perhaps...

9. I finished my PGCE last July and have since applied for 78 jobs not to mention the 20 or so I applied to before I finished the course. I've only heard from 1 of them. I also now have the extra problem of a whole new years worth of NQT's becoming competition in the jobs market when the funding cuts are generally in a lot of places being aimed at my subject first. You just need to face up to the fact that the chances of getting a job a very slim.

All the advice I would give is to keep plodding on - make sure you write a fresh application for every job (I know this gets harder the more you do!) and have them proof read by as many people as possible. Try to get in early.