1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Really dislike role...

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by greasychipbuttie, Jan 30, 2019.

1. greasychipbuttie

greasychipbuttie New commenter

without going into too many details to keep this as private as possible, I’ve recently started a support role in a school which is completely unsuitable and lacks any purpose or support.

I’ve only been at the school a short time and checking my contract if states a 4 week notice period. Does that 4 weeks come into play once I’ve done 4 weeks service or does that come into play the day I started.

I don’t want to make it known “officially” I am looking to leave so soon but am desperate for advice.

Thanks for reading.

2. splittinghairs

splittinghairs New commenter

From my reading it means you must give four weeks notice before leaving. As in, if you let them know today that you wanted to leave, the earliest that you could go would be four weeks. "notice" is how much time the school must know in advance that you will be leaving.

3. annie2020

annie2020 New commenter

As soon as you start a new job the 4-week notice rule begins. Having said that, I was very unhappy in a previous support role due to various factors and decided to hand in my notice in week 2. My HT and I came to an arrangement that I'd only have to work half of the 4-week notice. Talk to your HT and go from there. Be honest about your reason for wanting to leave and they might decide not to keep you on for longer than necessary.

4. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Sorry you're so unhappy in your new role, greasychipbuttie. Good advice from annie2020 above - have a talk with the HT - or, if you're in a big secondary school, it might need to be another member of SLT. Be upfront and honest with them (without being too detrimental about the school!) and you might be able to leave sooner.

Kateray1 and greasychipbuttie like this.
  5. greasychipbuttie

greasychipbuttie New commenter

Thanks for the replies.

In a way the 4 weeks would give me a little time to find something else. I took on a “behaviours” role and didn’t realise it would be more like a “unit”

Totally unsuitable and I’m finding it very stressful and completely relentless. Having to restrain and remove students from classes! I only want to help with academic progress!!

I only wanted to get some Primary experience before considering training but this is totally out of my comfort zone and I’m waking early feeling anxious about it already.