1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Really dislike my new school

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by SBW2009, Oct 11, 2011.

1. SBW2009

SBW2009 New commenter

Hi I've changed school for the 3rd time and i am so unhappy. I hate the members of staff in the department - they are rude and lazy, the HOF is so irrating and luckily never comes to my room. I can't find anyone friendly and generally i'm so unhappy.
    What makes the issue worse is the fact that the kids except for one class are horrible. I've worked in some really tough schools and i believed i was going to a really good school - interview was ok and i didn't expect the terrible behaviour i've seen around the school. I have almost all middle sets with some highly disruptive kids that although i can settle, i don't like the atmosphere of learning around school. I've not seen any senior leadership staff other than at the once a week briefing.
    I've decided to look for something else - teaching or otherwise. I really don't think i can last the year.
    Any advice for once i've seen a job of how to word it to the staff as obviously if i'm not successful i would have to continue to work there...

2. Sorry your in such a miserable situation. Do you really think you won't feel better in a couple of months once you have settled down and got to know people?

3. SBW2009

SBW2009 New commenter

Hi thanks for the reply
    I don't think so as i really hate the atmosphere and the focus of the school. Really just wish i hadn't moved.
    If only i could afford to do supply...

4. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

You know, it just might be you? What I mean is that when you go for an interview, in addition to being interviewed you are also interviewing the school. It could just be that you and the school are not made for each other.
    It is not the end of the world. It happens. Find another job and move on.

5. I feel the same and it sucks!! How long have you been teaching altogether?
    I had a meeting with my head to tell her my feelings - I just said I don't think I'm the right person for the school and I am extremely overwhelmed with the workload (I am also teaching another subject which takes up half my teaching time). Straightaway she said no don't quit we will work something out and afterwards I felt 'OK'... but I'm not happy with just 'OK'! I want to be happy in my job, not just feeling relief because I survived the day!
    I am still deciding whether or not to bite the bullet and resign. Whilst I will have no job to go to I am sure I'll feel a damn sight happier than how I am at the moment.
    What will be will be... I'm sure there is a job and school out there for us somewhere, I'm just waiting to find it! I'm in 2 minds at the moment. I'll be interested to see what decision you make, and I will come back here to tell you mine!

6. Zadok1

Zadok1 New commenter

I don't know how long you worked in the other schools but I'd suggest that you try to stick it out for the year at least. Doesn't look great on a CV if you're jumping around a lot, but obviously if you had longer standing posts elsewhere then I'd have thought it would be okay to jump ship at least once in your career.
    If I was you I'd ignore the other staff, the bottom line is they are colleagues not friends and as long as they don't do anything out of order then ignore them.

You said that the kids are terribly behaved... well that would be my focus for the year. Set yourself behavior management targets for your different classes and work on honing your skills while you look for another job. This has a win win payout. If you really focus on the kids then you'll be less bothered by the staff and the more effort you put into managing their behaviour the more pleasant it will be for you in the classroom.

Hope it works out for you.

7. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

this sounds a bit like my old school (old style academy!) - Hated nearly every minute of it... but I was determined to see the year out, and with blood, sweat and a lot of tears I did. Focussing on the money helped! And I would have treat days - Thursday became Tuesday was Pizza night, Frothy Coffee Thursday etc.. and I filled my social calendar so I had things to look forward to..
    It is a very tough jobs market out there and I certainly would not advise you to jump without a job to go to. Lots of schools have Cover Supervisors now so supply is very rare... but you also have to do what is best for your health and well-being. Take time out during Half-Term to weigh up your options, talk about it with friends, family etc and good luck!

8. Excellent advice FollyFairy.
    I was in exactly the same situation last year. The only thing which kept me sane (ish) was booking great holidays for every holiday/half-term break. I stayed at the school for 2 miserable years and became progressively more disillusioned and cynical until I finally resigned without a job to go to. Now I've moved to a new part of the country and am much happier-but unemployed!
    In the current job market think through your options VERY carefully. I'm sure that there are lots of fantastic schools out there where we will be very happy. Unfortunately, they may not be hiring and bills still need to be paid.
    If the thought of filling in endless application forms/waiting for the phone to ring for supply or interviews appeals more to you than continuing in a job you hate....bite the bullet. I don't regret my decision, even with dwindling savings!

9. SBW2009

SBW2009 New commenter

Hi all
    This is my 7th year and this is my second post as HOD. I am concerned that i've moved too frequently but one was due to relocation so I hope i can explain that away.
    Its the atmosphere in the school that gets to me - my classes are getting near where i want them to be. I just see so much aggression around the school and no one does anything. When i am on duty I just dread it as there is no back up at all - on my last duty 30 / 40 Y11 boys were charging around the school kicking doors and i was the only member of staff on duty - SLT who?!
    The staff are just so difficult to motivate - trying to get some changes (small at the moment) to the circulum but its not going well (you would think i was trying to change the whole thing to start the next day).
    It doesn't help that i'm single and have a high morgage and debt from when i was in a relationship. I really can't bare to move back with my parents :(
    Thanks all - I'm going to try and stick for the year but I just dread applying for jobs again!

10. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

You have moved 3x in 7 years? Is that correct? That is not too bad at all - I have moved 7x in 13 years! Now, that takes a lot more explaining - however, I do emphasis the experience I have and highlight how I can adapt easily to different environments and behaviours policies etc...

11. Well i have worked in 5 schools in 8 years lol! Sometimes you find that your just not compatible with the school. I have picked up many good, and have to say bad practice in each of the schools. Part of my success in getting my current post was the experience of working in different schools. So its not all a bad thing moving schools.

I hated one school that i worked in a few years ago and left after two terms. A little imagination can help explain the move in an interview. Keep your head up, concentrate on doing a good job and the year will fly!

12. SBW2009

SBW2009 New commenter

Thank you all - yes 3rd school in 7 years. It just seemed so many compared to most people.
    I'm going to try and stick the year out and just keep an eye out and if i see something better (and to be honest most things will be) I'll just use the fact the school is a fair distance away from where I am living and that I had hoped to have moved when I accepted the position but my house has not sold and the cost of fuel is very high (I will make sure that next school is closer!!).

13. I really feel for you. I moved last year to a school that I hate. Mine was 4th move in 7 years.

The behaviour was (is) utterly awful, and although I was employed as an Asst Head, I was only used as Head of maths, and demoted along with a much longer serving Asst head part way through year on the back of a financial scaling down due to falling rolls. I was the most miserable I have ever been in any job or any school. By Christmas last year I was feeling the lowest I have ever been.

My only advice to you is that it may get better after a year. I am at the same school this year as department head, but am much happier, even though I still hate the school and look for jobs every day. The kids are more enjoyable, and I feel I have learned so much resilience. I am determined not to be bullied by the Head this year, and I am seem to be the recipient of less flak, probably because I feel able to walk with my head up this year.

I sincerely hope you feel better eventually, but it might take a whole year. In the mean time you are learning inner resilience that many lesser people have never had the need of. Good luck with your job hunting.

14. Hi,
    Just thought I'd pop by to see how everyone is feeling and also to update on my current situation.
    I replied to this thread as I was (and still am) feeling like I need to move school as I feel it is not just for me. I was dead set on resigning before half term, but I didn't. My Head persuaded me to stay and offered me a lot more support, so I thought I would stick it out at least until Easter.
    I have to say I've had a lot more good days since half term, but there are still many days I just feel like crying as it is not where I want to be. I am counting day every lesson of every day until Christmas where I can have a blissful two weeks off, but I think I will definitely be leaving in Easter. I just hope I secure a job before then, if not I think I'll consider moving to a job outside teaching.
    Keep your chin up and good luck [​IMG]

15. There is life outside of teaching. I jumped ship and it was the best decision I ever made. I have far less money now but am happy and stress free. Go for it - life's too short.