1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Really confused over PGCE status

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by batfinkrules, Jan 24, 2019.

1. batfinkrules

batfinkrules New commenter

I am currently doing my PGCE post 16 FE I have three months left. I am rather confused when applying for jobs they are asking for teacher reference number or QTS status I havent got these - what do I need to do

2. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Ask the people running your course for advice. You probably don’t get them till you are qualified and there used to be some difference between post 16 qualifications for teachers and school qualifications. Please ask the people who will be up to date with their information.

3. phatsals

phatsals Senior commenter

If your PGCE is in FE you don't get QTS. After you have completed your course and have a job you can start the process to apply for QTLS after registering with SET. You have to pay for assessment and continue to renew over the length of your career to keep QTLS.

There is a SET membership fee and a charge of £485 for assessment.

Your course provider should have made this clear to you, but speak to them for further clarification.

agathamorse likes this.