1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Really busy!

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Ravena, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Ravena

Ravena New commenter

Anyone else suddenly overloaded with tuition enquiries following the January module results? I'm also a full-time teacher so have had to put some potential students on a cancellation/waiting list as I only have so many evenings free.

2. I'm primary - my busy time tends to be just after the first parents evening of Y6... or when the first serious Y6 sats revision homework goes home and neither the kids nor parents can do it!

3. Yes.

2 weeks ago, I did 42 hours tuition.

It has been 3 days since my last enquiry. This is unusual.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Totally full. The introduction of doing GCSEs in year 9 has also helped!!

5. I'm also completely booked up, most are KS1... I am currently considering withdrawing KS1 tuition to open up slots for KS2 pupils.

6. When did this start? I'm not UK based anymore and am a bit out of touch!
    I have also had more inquiries lately but they all seem to think I am available whenever they can fit me into their schedule. Last week I received a text message from someone who had got my number of one of my current tutees asking if I can go to her house at a specific time THAT DAY and giving me her address!

7. Typhoon

Typhoon New commenter

I don't think this is a universal thing, but some schools seem to be starting their top set Year 9s on the GCSE course a year early, with them taking their exams in Year 10. I've picked up a Yr 9 GCSE maths tutee this way myself.
    Oh yes, I get this as well! Some parents don't seem to appreciate that I need to organise tuition slots around my own availability and the times I can get back from work if I am teaching - which can vary as I do supply and obviously work in different places. There are also those whose children do different clubs and activities literally every night of the week after school - er, yes, when exactly do you want to fit the tuition in? And those who just seem to expect me to automatically have a slot free during the one free hour of the week when their child isn't in ballet / drama / extra art class etc.

8. Ravena

Ravena New commenter

Yes, I registered as self employed and will have to complete self assessment tax returns. I pay tax as normal as an employed teacher and keep a spreadsheet of my income and expenses for tutoring.
    The tutor pages has a free e-book about tax and insurance which you may find helpful.