1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Really annoyed and disappointed

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by thekillers1, Oct 14, 2016.

1. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

Okay, bullet point time:
    1. Fought for a position.
    2. Maternity contract but had to go through supply agency (long story).
    3. 3 months extended to 4 months through agency.
    4. Only getting paid £110 per day and I'm doing full works including planning etc.
    5. No summer pay once contract has been achieved.
    6. Why bother?!

2. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

If you are unhappy there and listing things like that it sounds like you need to evaluate your options.

install and thekillers like this.
  3. thekillers1

I haven't started yet so that's a good idea.

4. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

£110 for a long term post where younare planning and marking is way too low. You should get a higher daily rate. The agency and/or school are trying to take advantage of you.

5. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Caveat emptor.

bevdex likes this.
  6. pcsmush

pcsmush Occasional commenter

I get paid less than that, so it's very depressing to read others saying it's way too low....

fml!

7. thekillers1

I apologise that you're paid this rate. Are you a primary or secondary supply teacher?

8. thekillers1

the principle that the buyer alone is responsible for checking the quality and suitability of goods before a purchase is made. Your advice is - ?

9. thekillers1

That's the rate they're providing. I'm annoyed yet this is the best that's on offer.

10. thekillers1

If the expectations and work-life balance is poor, I'll consider walking.

install and slingshotsally like this.
  11. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

It's not especially low. I live in the Midlands.

I'd say that was average.

@pcsmush

thekillers likes this.
  12. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

You should never accept the first offer. There's a teacher shortage. Just ask for your pay scale rate from day 1.

katykook, pepper5 and slingshotsally like this.
  13. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Yes. Haggle. That's a given.

install, pepper5 and thekillers like this.
  14. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

Are there other alternatives where you are currently located? Have you looked on the local authority websites?

If the HT will give you a reference (rather refuse a reference because you are an agency hire) would that sway you?

It might be better to discuss the implications with your partner/wife/husband and make the decision together.

EDIT- take @nearmiss @grumpydogwoman advice They have far greater experience of this than me.

install and thekillers like this.
  15. thekillers1

Good idea.

16. thekillers1

I took this role as I had supplied at the school, so i have an idea how this school potentially work. Also, more CPD than other schools and support rather than blame the long-term supply teacher for the school's unresolved faults. The school approached me to join and continued phoning the agency for future cover. There's extra PPA time every fortnight, more than most schools in the area. Tricky class but there's a full-time TA. I had joined for a step in to full-time teaching and an opportunity for a reference to achieve a permanent position. This was the first time I have been graded as good with outstanding features since 2014 by a competent senior leader. The pros definitely outweigh the cons, yet the agency has been a pain in the backside. I had independently applied for the job, yet the agency profit on my efforts. This is what's hurting me. No school wants me other than this one due to the terrible school I had left.

17. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

Why bother applying if you knew it was only going to be a short term maternity contract?
    Suppose it will help the CV and your cash flow whilst you seek permanent work and that it will deem you more 'employable'

thekillers likes this.
  18. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

Yes, but the question is, Are you in a legally binding contract? Chances are, you are, because you've accepted the position whether verbally or written.

thekillers likes this.
  19. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

You have sound reasons for making the decision- the CPD and good observations give you hope.

Now you need to reconcile the wage with the a good reference.

It is for 12 weeks- possibly 16 weeks. For £110 per day- that will be how much in your pocket? It will be money to pay the heating bills, food etc.

Do a count down, mark it off on the calendar. Make a list of all the CPD you will get. Ensure you do the work to your highest standards.

And keep applying to other jobs, take any written feedback to show you are outstanding to interviews. Make sure you photocopy work to link with your weekly plans so you can show progression in children's learning and keep this in a portfolio to take to interviews. Do screen dumps of the pupil progress (cover names with a black marker to preserve privacy) so you can prove that you are able to deal with data.

It may not seem much, but it will be a way to build your references.

With any luck, you will have a new post for March/April. Try not to lose hope, it just work it through.

install, sabrinakat and thekillers like this.
  20. thekillers1

Ah, good point. The school explained that an option to walk away whilst on a long-term supply position. This, by law, is 24 hours notice. When that period has been completed, a temporary contract is drawn. The option to leave then changes. No contract has been signed.

slingshotsally likes this.