1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reality of social distancing

Discussion in 'Primary' started by JasonArganaut, May 18, 2020.

?

Are your school's primary children socially distancing in the playground?

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. No

20 vote(s)
    76.9%
  1. smilingisgoodforyou

smilingisgoodforyou Occasional commenter

install likes this.
  2. CabbageWhite20

CabbageWhite20 Occasional commenter

Yes, but not with chemicals whose use is restricted by COSHH. The more I think about it the more I think that might be worth reconsidering. I hope you don’t mind my saying that - I know you are bending over backwards to put things in place that will work.

3. smilingisgoodforyou

smilingisgoodforyou Occasional commenter

The BMA have revised their statements.

The British Medical Association has said schools can reopen on June 1, or earlier, as long as it is “safe to do so”.

"In an apparent softening of its stance regarding pupils returning to the classroom, the doctors’ union admitted there was “growing evidence that the risk to individual children from Covid-19 is extremely small”.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/05/19/bma-drops-opposition-schools-reopening/

It makes sense to me for each HT/SLT/Governors/staff to access their own individual situation and decide whether they should open. A "one size fits all edict" is not ideal. Different areas have different infection rates. School buildings are all different, with different sized classrooms and playgrounds. Some schools will be more suited to opening safely than others.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  4. CabbageWhite20

Do they mention the risk to staff at all? I know I could just read it myself!

I’ll be going in, but I do feel teachers are being pushed above the parapet here.

Ellakits and ACOYEAR8 like this.
  5. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Staff and the risk to adults is not a topic that lends itself for the " now you can go back into the water " conversation.
    upload_2020-5-20_12-32-1.jpeg

Catgirl1964 and Ellakits like this.
  6. install

install Star commenter

I agree

ACOYEAR8 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  7. install

install Star commenter

Agree completely.

8. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

From the staff room window, teachers kept an eye on their returning students.
    [​IMG]

9. Ellakits

Ellakits Lead commenter

In which case as long as a risk assessment has been done and your insurers are happy that the kids have access to cleaning fluids such as Milton, you’re probably fine.

10. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Insurers have no interest or involvement in the process. They just deal with the claim if it all goes wrong!

11. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

As it is in ours. Recorders: each child has their own names one and can be very spread out in the hall to have lessons. Ukulele similar. And all the other activities you mention. (We are lucky to have a large space though.)
    Don't be daft! They are still too busy hunting for the evidence for the 67 zillion other nonsense claims they have made.
    I agree.
    Children can throw their duplo pieces in the bucket of milton. They can use the hand gel to clean the paint from the tuff tray. But perhaps not use the bleach to wash the floor... rats!
    Of course I don't mind. Well except that I agree with you and that is irritating because it means I was perhaps a little wrong in some aspects. I have a meeting with the H&S person at school, the head and the head of EYFS on Friday. We will sort classrooms and then discuss cleaning.
    Absolutely this.
    Just swap insurers for H&S officer/person/thingy in school and I agree completely.

Bet we sort all of this and then schools don't reopen until September and everyone is stuck with gallons of cleaning product and boxes for packing away stuff!

CabbageWhite20 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  12. Ellakits

Ellakits Lead commenter

Joking aside, although Milton is food-safe, if you do get the children to put things into it make sure you’ve done some sort of risk assessment and it’s diluted correctly. Milton is a mild chlorine bleach and is classed as a skin irritant as well as highly toxic to aquatic life - worth bearing in mind if there are any fish in the school. As with all chlorine bleaches it will also release toxic chlorine gas if mixed with an acid!

13. caterpillartobutterfly

We have no fish.
    And we are talking the same stuff that is used to sterilise baby bottles and dummies.
    It will be fine and none of ours have the kinds of needs which mean they will attempt to do anything with it they shouldn't.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  14. crumbleskates

crumbleskates Occasional commenter

I would think carefully about blowing (recorders) and singing inside as it is known that expelling of air more forcefully than breathing is risky in terms of transmission. This is why there are cases of adult choirs being infected even though there was strict social distancing. At school, we sing and shout outside.

smilingisgoodforyou and ACOYEAR8 like this.
  15. caterpillartobutterfly

Hence using the hall with a class of about 5!
    They'll be about 10m away from anyone else.

smilingisgoodforyou likes this.
  16. crumbleskates

crumbleskates Occasional commenter

It’s known that the spread from anything that expels breath with any force ie singing/blowing/coughing around the room will be significant regardless. I will try to find the article.

17. CabbageWhite20

Can I ask, do you know how far the staffing has to be consistent? I’ve seen some schools are saying it must be the same staff member (or 2) with a group of 15 every day, other schools are having a rota of different staff in different days. Looking at the guidelines I couldn’t see anything definitive. Does anyone know?

18. caterpillartobutterfly

I know...same as excercise, running, cycling, etc
    Same as sneezing.
    Hence they recommend more than 2m social distance.

I did pack away almost all the musical instruments from my nursery classroom today. I kept out only those that can be immersed in sterilising solution overnight and/or wiped with antiseptic wipes. Even the much loved trumpet that they revoltingly pass from one to the other to take turns being the 'leader in the parade' is gone. :(=children :)=me

Most headteachers will be sorting staffing to be the best they can scrabble together at this time. Some schools have no year 6 teacher available, so the year 3,4,5 teachers are in rotation. Others have all relevant teachers and TAs available, so can staff with the same people each day. Some schools have multiple part time staff, so cannot have the same teacher each day. One of the few things the government has got exactly right is to leave the decision to individual school heads.(sorry NEU!)

19. CabbageWhite20

Most headteachers will be sorting staffing to be the best they can scrabble together at this time. Some schools have no year 6 teacher available, so the year 3,4,5 teachers are in rotation. Others have all relevant teachers and TAs available, so can staff with the same people each day. Some schools have multiple part time staff, so cannot have the same teacher each day. One of the few things the government has got exactly right is to leave the decision to individual school heads.(sorry NEU!)[/QUOTE]

Yes, that’s what I thought. I think I’m some schools the work is falling disproportionately heavily on a small number of staff.

20. caterpillartobutterfly

Absolutely.
    Some of that can't be helped.
    Some is down to poor management.