1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reality of social distancing

Discussion in 'Primary' started by JasonArganaut, May 18, 2020.

?

Are your school's primary children socially distancing in the playground?

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. No

20 vote(s)
    76.9%
  1. Ellakits

Ellakits Lead commenter

This is where I think there could be an issue. What is ‘more regularly than normal’? If the loos and tables are wiped over each day usually, then wiping them twice a day satisfies the guidance. Equally if light switches are usually wiped once a month then wiping them twice a month would fall within the guidelines.

I’ve spent countless hours in classrooms after school whilst the cleaners work around me. Table tops and desks wiped, carpet hoovered, halls mopped and loos bleached - all of these I’ve seen / heard / smelled.

I cannot ever recall seeing the cleaners wipe the light switches or door handles, nor clean the toys or books.

I imagine these were usually done as part of a deep clean at the end of term, not as something routinely done on a daily or weekly basis.

I doubt they’d be allowed anywhere near it, due to COSHH regulations. In fact you may find it can’t be used if the children are in the room. I don’t actually know, but I’m hazarding a guess here.

2. CabbageWhite20

CabbageWhite20 Occasional commenter

I doubt they’d be allowed anywhere near it, due to COSHH regulations. In fact you may find it can’t be used if the children are in the room. I don’t actually know, but I’m hazarding a guess here.[/QUOTE]

Yes - we’ve been told COSHH means cleaning products (inc antibacterial spray, hand sanitiser) can’t be left visible and use must be closely supervised. We were told they definitely can’t squirt each other or use antibac to clean surfaces. I very much doubt that means we could leave diluted basins of it around so they could drop Lego etc. in. Due to the nature of the chemicals these are adult tasks.

3. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Those big hoola hoops are going to be a prime resource !

4. JasonArganaut

JasonArganaut New commenter

[QUOTE="Corvuscorax, post: 13134614,
    Anyone who is asked to do something unsafe needs to leave and contact their union.[/QUOTE]

We have been told that unless we provide evidence that we are shielding someone or are ill, if we are absent, we will not be paid for those days

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  5. JasonArganaut

JasonArganaut New commenter

Getting back to the original question because I really would like to hear people's opinions and strategies on this matter.
    There is no social distancing going on when children are in the playground at the school where I work. A member of staff was hugging a child today and continued to after I reminded them of the rule.
    We have up to 22 children a day (small one form) and they do not stagger break times, they are all in the playground at the same time and most definitely not keeping 2 metres apart.
    I am very concerned

6. install

install Star commenter

The said poster also made some unhelpful comments in another thread on schemes of work. Again and has been said “you couldn’t make it up”.

7. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Spread them out on the playground/ draw funny shapes/animals.
    [​IMG]

8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

But you are speaking about the provision for key worker children which is different to that for the return of greater numbers.
    Either way the guidance is clear that social distancing cannot happen in schools, although with older children an attempt can be made.
    Within the 'bubbles' children and adults can mix freely as they would do normally.
    The only thing that wouldn't fit the new guidance for your scenario is that you have 22 children and the largest 'bubble' can be 15. Other than all you have said fits the guidance.

install likes this.
  9. caterpillartobutterfly

We can use any that are deemed suitable. Depends which one you purchase for us. Ones which are food safe and so on are fine. Things like Milton are also fine.
    Some nurseries are using soapy water, which is also fine.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  10. CabbageWhite20

CabbageWhite20 Occasional commenter

There’s a difference between ‘food safe’ and ok for a child to use/potentially get in eyes etc. though isn’t there. I don’t know - it’s all subject to interpretation. We seem to be sticking to the letter of COSHH so kids can’t have access to these things.

11. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

we are talking life and death.

more than 70 school staff infected before schools closed have died.

Sorry if you find that "unnerving"

You can't be disciplined for refusing to put yourself in a dangerous situation.

12. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Are you going to reply to this @Corvuscorax ?

upload_2020-5-20_10-30-14.png

or this?

upload_2020-5-20_10-31-24.png

13. Corvuscorax

It doesn't matter how hard teachers work.

There can be no music, sport, science, art, IT, free play. Teachers cannot get close enough to see work, or mark it. There will need to be punitive consequences for children who break social distancing. maximum of 10 children will fit into one room, more likely 8. So a teacher who was setting and marking work for 35 children at home will be able to talk to less than a quarter of that number.

Honestly, children will be better off at home, working online. What schools should be doing is providing the resources, including laptops and internet connection if necessary

JasonArganaut likes this.
  14. Corvuscorax

speak to your union now, at regional level

15. caterpillartobutterfly

Not true again.
    Around 70 school staff have died in total throughout the virus, both before and after schools closed. None have been publicised as having a clear and direct link to the school.

16. caterpillartobutterfly

There can be all of these.
    Yes they can.
    Absolutely not. Especially as the guidance says quite clearly that social distancing in primary schools is impossible.
    In primary schools, children will be in two or three groups and be staffed by teachers and TAs that they know. The fact it is a different teacher to the one officially labelled as their classteacher is largely irrelevant.
    All children really aren't. For many children remote learning has worked well and they possibly are doing well. For a great many others all semblance of education has stopped. Only the naive would think simply handing out a laptop and internet connection would solve the problem.

17. caterpillartobutterfly

Fair enough. And I'm not suggesting we have bottles of the stuff lying around for children to freely access. But under supervision, cleaning is something small children love to do.

18. caterpillartobutterfly

Who will tell you that your school is correct.

Some schools are trusting that staff who tell them they are vulnerable or shielding are in that position. Others are asking for evidence. Either is fine.
    And yes, as always, if you aren't at work without a good reason, you will not be paid. And if you continue in that manner you will face disciplinary proceedings.

install and smilingisgoodforyou like this.
  19. smilingisgoodforyou

smilingisgoodforyou Occasional commenter

Wrong! My partner is a primary teacher, with responsibility for music. He has been busy panning all sorts of interesting things for the children. They are not going to sing or share musical instruments, but there are a range of musical activities such as listening to music, rhythm games, to name but two. Music at my partner's school ,with his bubble, is very definitely still going ahead.

20. smilingisgoodforyou

smilingisgoodforyou Occasional commenter

Please can you provide evidence of this. How do you know that these 70 teachers contracted covid at work or caught it from children? Sadly ,one of my local colleagues had died and they didn't catch it from school. They could be one of your 70 teachers. I would be interested to see the information about this. Thank you.

Last edited: May 20, 2020