1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Realistically, can I re-enter teaching? Advise please...

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by lomo1, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Hi GiantPanda, are you based in England? I am in Scotland and I have not come across any return to teaching courses up here which would be really handy...to be honest trying to find any help from any official body is near enough impossible.

My youngest is only 15 months and will not be given a funded public nursery place until Jan 2013, which will make my total time out of the classroom nearly 8 years! I have to ask myself in good conscience whether I would be fit to re-enter a classroom in Scotland as the curriculum is completely changing here.

I seem to always find a reason why i can't and it's really frustrating because teaching is the only job I have ever been good at!

Thank you for your advice also, I need to go find some patience...

2. Hi there,

I'm in exactly the same position as you. I can't get back into teaching without an up to date teaching experience but can't get this because I can't afford the childcare. Plus I can't find another job because I have little experience in other things - or am seen as too highly qualified - or under qualified in others.
    I have managed to get a place on a return to teaching course but I rang to find out dates this week and they are refusing to publish them 'for one reason or another'. This maybe being a little paranoid, but with all the cuts it wouldn't surprise me if the funding for these go too - leaving me back at square one!
    hmmm, plus there's the childcare etc during holidays if we do end up doing something other than teaching... so many things to consider. Like you, I could probably do with a small lottery win to tide me over until my children are at school! [​IMG]

Keep in touch and let me know what you decide to do.
    Good luck x

3. You poor thing! Kids are soooooo expensive! I'm having to give up my job as it's too far away and I can no longer afford the fuel costs as well as the childcare. Fortunatly my son starts school in Septemeber *sob* and my daughter wil turn 3 so will be eligable for her 15 funded hours (if that still exists by then!) so hopefully the winter term will see me back in work. Scary stuff, finding a job. Don't think I can bear the round after round of applications. Goodness, got stuck in my own rant there! Sorry =) Hope it works out for you.

4. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

The issue of references is not as bleak as some of you are suggesting. just because you know that a school has closed or a Head has retired does not mean that getting a reference from that employment would be futile.
    Schools keep references on file for past employees and these can be issued even when the person who wrote them is no longer contactable. Where schools close down, their records are not destroyed. The LA HR department would have access to the records, which have to be stored for 6 years, I believe.
    If you had moved out of the area where you last taught, you would be oblivious to the status of the school and the Head and you would apply for jobs and continue to put them down for reference purposes.
    That is less of an issue as most teachers from that generation will be in the old TPS, with a retirement age of 60.
    Those born after 6th Apr 1953 are affected only in regards to when they can get the State retirement pension (paid for through NI), not their occupational pension.
    I fall into that category as I was born in Dec 1953. The state retirement age is being phased so I will actually be able to claim mine when I am 63yrs and 7 months, not 65yrs. I will still be claiming my Teachers' pension from age 60 or earlier.
    I don't know of many teachers, able to get the TPS at 60, who would delay until they could get their state pension at the same time. they'd be more likely to retire, claim th.e TPS and supplement the missing 397 of State pension with one day per fortnight of supply teaching or a half term of f/t supply teaching per year.

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Intersting jubilee.
    I'm actually born in April but just a few days late & when watching a tv programme recently my understanding was that even though we would have been in the same school year those born before Apr 6 will be able to retire at 63 as expected but those of us unfortunate to be born <u>after</u> 6th April even if only by a day or so, will have to work until our 65th birthday. They interviewed 2 schoolfriends in exactly this position.
    So where do we go for a definitive answer?

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Also in my area we've been told unofficially that day to day supply will be dead as from next year as alternative arrangements are to be used.

7. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

my last post should have said &pound;97, not 397!
    If you go to www.directgov.co.uk you can access information on the state pension and enter your gender and DOB into a pension age calculator to get the exact phased in age for the state pension.
    Those women born after 6th April 1953 and before a date in 1957 or 1958 will have a retirement age between 60 and 65 . After that,the age is equalised for male and female retirees, with plans for a retirement age of 66 or higher in the pipeline.

8. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

Found it!
    www.pensions-service.direct.gov.uk/en/state-pension-age-calculator/home.asp