1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Realistic salary range in Kota Kinabalu?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by beejaamin, Dec 4, 2018.

1. beejaamin

beejaamin New commenter

Hi all!

Thank you in advance for any help and/or advice offered from you all :)

I've seen so much varied (and a little outdated) information on this subject. I'm not looking for exact amounts (as I know it all depends on particular school and teaching experience etc)

Could anyone give me a ball park expectation of a decent salary in Kota Kinabalu?

I'm just trying to work out if it's at all feasible in my personal situation.

I'm a primary teacher, looking at teaching in a British International School.

Thank you all!

2. rosiecg

rosiecg Occasional commenter

No idea about KK but look through the forum at anything about Malaysia or Penang and that will give you a rough idea.

3. mummalea

mummalea New commenter

Hi there

KK will be cheaper to live in than mainland Malaysia (KL). Don’t compare salaries with the UK as you’ll be disappointed. As a secondary English teacher with KS3 - KS4 responsibility, I earned approx 11 800 ringgit per month. But tax initially is very high on low sums and you may need to spend on paying several months rent in advance. I suggest you check the healthcare provision CAREFULLY as many are let down by unexplained, inadequate cover.

That said, Borneo is fab - great for scuba, hiking, climbing and beaches. Lovely people. Good food. Amazing Eco structure. Great opportunities to visit south east Asia. A loooong way from home if things don’t work out or you need to fly back in a hurry.

4. knocker

knocker New commenter

There are now at least direct flights from KL and Brunei (about an hours flight away) back to Heathrow if you need to rush back at any point.

KK is certainly not the big city that KL is but the traveling opportunities from this part of the world in the holidays will make up for that.

5. bobbingtoncrescent

bobbingtoncrescent New commenter

I am also thinking about the British school in KK. There’s not much data out there about it, despite being an older institution.

Yes the new Brunei flight is a big plus.

I would just like to know, would the 11800 ringgit be nett, inclusive of rental allowance?

6. mummalea

mummalea New commenter

Hi bobbingtoncrescent

That was including rental allowance. Not sure if you hooked up with this school via a recent 'virtual recruitment fair' (!) but I thought it presented pretty well and the head (very new and super keen) put across the organisation quite honestly.

Have you checked out PM forums on the ISR? They may be a jumping off point to find someone already working there or who has worked there...quite often people seem to respond to the PM bit even if there's no official online review. Might be worth a try.

7. taiyah

taiyah New commenter

KK is in the state of Sabah and if you love beaches, trekking and jungle trips then you'll be more than occupied. Depending on how you decide to live it can be as expensive or as moderate as you want. If you can land a job with 11800NET then you'll be fine... BUT BEWARE...School tend to give you a calculations of what you will earn a month.. They calculate THAT using the MINIMUM tax bracket... On 11800RM net is the 22-24% bracket. So needles to say its best for you to do some maths and tax research. PM me if you need.

8. bobbingtoncrescent

bobbingtoncrescent New commenter

Thanks to all for the information. No it wasn't the 'virtual recruitment fair', although I did see that advertised.

I am slightly confused though, there's only one British school in KK, did you work at it mummalea?