1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Realistic chances of employment

Discussion in 'Australia - Staffroom' started by clawdeer, Jun 5, 2017.

1. clawdeer

clawdeer New commenter

Hi, I have been living on the Gold Coast for 2 months, settling in well. I am a UK qualified primary teacher with 12+ years teaching experience in the prep age group.
    I've registered with QCT, TRACER and written to local schools. I check Smart Jobs and Seek / Indeed daily. There are no jobs advertised at the moment.
    When is the major recruitment time here?
    How realistic is it to be job hunting here?
    What tips can anyone give me?
    Many thanks in advance for any advice

2. saoghalbeag

saoghalbeag New commenter

I'm assuming you've registered with Education Queensland as you mention TRACER? Process in state (public) schools is quite different in Queensland to UK as Education Dept distributes teachers based on their rating system and need, rather than advertising jobs and recruiting on merit/interview. You may need to attend an interview to organise your Edu Qld rating? It also helps if you're flexible, otherwise you've only got supply.

I'd say major recruitment is towards the end of the school year (Oct/Nov) as teachers hand in their notice. Sometimes there's a flurry in January as plans change, student numbers are confirmed (that's in private/independent schools).

You could try contacting schools directly? Try also www.teachers.on.net for independent jobs. You could also register with Catholic Education https://bcejobs.nga.net.au/cp/index.cfm? as Catholic schools are many.

I have family and friends teaching on the Gold Coast and it is a tough market to crack. Good luck!

clawdeer likes this.
  3. clawdeer

clawdeer New commenter

Thank you for your reply, it is full of sound advice and I truly appreciate it. I am registered with Queensland college of teachers yes, but since registering not heard a thing. I have done a days supply so they know I exist. It's just difficult as I had such a good job in the UK. But I will persevere as it can't be impossible to get a job, I just need to know how. So thanks again, you've given me hope!

4. kaylawilson4

kaylawilson4 New commenter Tes Australia careers peer advisor

Hi clawdeer, welcome to Queensland!

I have taught in Queensland and thought I might offer you some advice. The Queensland College of Teachers and Education Queensland are two different entities. The Queensland College of Teachers is the licensing authority - they determine who is eligible to hold registration as a teacher. Education Queensland is the employer and governing body of the public school system. Being registered with the QCT will only mean you're eligible to teach, they do not advertise vacancies or recruit teachers.

To get work on the Gold Coast, you should apply with Education Queensland - https://teach.qld.gov.au/apply-to-teach/submit-your-application

Register and look for work with Brisbane Catholic Education - bne.catholic.edu.au

And for independent schools you can apply to advertised vacancies (Tes Australia, seek and teachers on net are useful websites) as well as consult an agency.

Good luck in your job hunt, I hope you've had some success!

5. clawdeer

clawdeer New commenter

Hi,
    I submitted my application to Education Queensland back in the uk in 2016 just before we moved here. I was also on Tracer and the Catholic relief one too. Its all good though as I have actually got a job now as a preschool teacher, which I'm really happy with.
    Thanks for your reply and advice x

6. kaylawilson4

@clawdeer Congratulations! All the best in your role and if you have any other friends in Australia or looking to come to Australia to teach, my new role is to help provide advice on this forum.

7. kimberleypickup88

kimberleypickup88 New commenter

Hi,

I'm currently going through the skills testing process in preparation for EOI to get the 189 VISA.
    I am currently a secondary art and design teacher and also teach primary art (I teach in a through school- ages 4-16). My results are consistently 90+% A*-C and our results were in 8th in the country this year.

I am trying to figure out when would be best to fly over as I don't really want to be without a job for an extended length of time. I can fly out in August whilst I am still getting paid from my current job through the English summer holidays or I can fly over just before Christmas.

I am already registered with SMART teachers but I can not be considered for jobs until I have my VISA. I am hoping to get this in June 2018.

I look forward to any advice you guys have!

Thanks in advance,

Kim

8. clawdeer

clawdeer New commenter

Hi,
    From what I’ve learnt so far, it’s all about getting yourself known to the schools. The best way to do this is to do relief work. Then once a school knows you you may get a temporary role. In Queensland you can’t just get a permanent job you will have to be temporary first it seems.
    It is a very different process to the UK, the sooner you are here the better as it takes a while to get yourself established and known to the schools you are interested in. I opted for pre-school work as there wasn’t much relief work in my area, for my expertise when I arrived. I love my job and am not fussed about getting into a school anymore.
    Good luck with your visa, and subsequent job hunt- it’s a lengthy process but worth it to live in this amazing country

9. kaylawilson4

Hi Kim,

Thanks so much for your enquiry. I'll be honest, as an Art teacher myself, the job market is competitive as most schools only have 1 or a few Art teachers on staff. Art teaching jobs will be highly competitive depending on where you're looking to settle in Australia. Cities such as Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney and their satellite cities are highly competitive for all subjects and age-groups, not just Art.

There is much more opportunity in regional and remote communities compared to the metropolitan areas. The more open-minded and flexible you are in terms of location, the better your chances for employment in a long term role will be. Regional and remote schools are much more able to provide permanent jobs and some also offer perks such as relocation and accommodation subsidies.

Additionally, the attitude of Australian schools to overseas-experienced teachers can vary. Some schools favour or are very interested in teachers with UK teaching experience, while others want someone whose had demonstrated experience in Australian Curriculum and the state's senior phase curriculum.

As for time of year - both both times of year (August or December) have their pros and cons.

August - as this is Term 3 in Australia, lots of work on offer will be contract and short term or relief appointments. This is a good 'foot in the door' and a good opportunity to get Australian experience on your CV. However, September is the start of the 2019 academic year recruitment drive - and being able to attend interviews face to face is a great advantage.

December - you will still be in the thick of the 2019 recruitment period, and a lot more long term work will be on offer. However, the busy period really starts in September so you would be coming in on the tail end of the busy period.

Additionally, have you commenced enquiries about getting teacher registration in the Australian state or territory you'll be settling in? I really recommending undertaking your teacher registration process at LEAST 3 months prior to your arrival in Australia.

Good luck and feel free to ask any further questions!

Kayla.

10. 2mature

2mature New commenter

Hi I am just starting the process of applying for process of applying for visa with aim of moving out next August (2019). Having spoken to Migration Agent she reckons on state sponsored visa only NSW will be open to me and with change in points I may not make Independent visa. My question is with a wife and two kids could you suggest as a PE & History teacher where would be good for job oppurtunities and family in this area. The rent in Sydney is extortionate as so would towns etc... be a better option. Also was thinking August would be good time to get supply work and foot in door as you said for the January recruitment Thanks in advance Tony