1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Real supply salary

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Pti pimousse, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Pti pimousse

Pti pimousse New commenter

I'm ups1 and contemplating the possibility of going on supply. Having read some the threads on here, I'm rather worried about the money earned in real terms. What can I expect to bring over one year if I was able to get work every day? Can't really afford to lose too much. Thank you.

2. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

In the olden days, and still available through some local authorities, you were paid 1/195 of your annual salary at your proven rate eg UPS per day. So, if you worked every school day you would earn the same annual salary as before, just not evenly spread through the year. My school, where I am part time employed, will honour this for extra days in my role.

The reality, however, is that most schools employ through agencies because it is cheaper and easier. They pay much less. Usually a standard amount unless you can negotiate a better deal because you are a shortage subject or on a longer term placement. Others here can tell you example amounts.

I would think very few earn their old full time salary.

3. Pti pimousse

Thanks for that and for taking the time to reply.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. agathamorse

agathamorse Senior commenter

It’s getting very difficult to get supply work most days, never mind every day. Day to day has been very scarce for most people on this forum this year. Long term supply seems to be doing ok but that rarely lasts a full year and even when paid to scale, there is no pay in the holidays. I’ve been doing maternity and long term sickness covers in secondary with the occasional day to day in primary until this year. Am currently on a maternity contract with a school. When this ends I am thinking about returning to office work as supply is just so unpredictable and unreliable now.

5. The-Gaffer

The-Gaffer Occasional commenter

Ex ups3

Now £140 a day paye

I could earn about 18.5k if I did every day which come Christmas I will have done pretty much through this one agency in term stints at different schools

Stress levels pretty much zero
    working hours 8.30 - 3.15

If your doing it for the money - don't!
    If your contemplating it as a change of pace/life circumstances as is the case with me then maybe

6. HS65

HS65 Occasional commenter

From my limited experience I’d say you’re. not going to get near UPS on day to day supply ....... but may do on longer term placements. It will be down to negotiations with the agencies ...... the school will be paying well above that anyway and probably have the agency suggesting that they’re paying you your rate.
    I’m finding that agencies are less honest than I expected.

7. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

You're right to be concerned - and believe all the threads you read on here! I've been offered zero days this term as day-to-day Primary and I'm not alone. I am lucky not to need the work - I just wanted to keep my hand in and maybe earn some 'pocket money', to quote my consultant. Think carefully before leaving your current role, unless it's becoming unbearable and capability is on the horizon (I sincerely hope not.) You may have better luck with long term positions, but bear in mind you will be expected to do the same work as your permanent colleagues for about half the salary and without the attendant benefits. Good luck with whatever you decide - you have done the right thing seeking advice on this forum, but it may not be what you want to hear.

8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Also ex ups 3. Currently £145 per day on a 7 week placement. Normally £120 per day on day to day cover when I can get it. Could get plenty of long term placements if i wanted them as I am in a shortage subject (science)

9. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Ex-UPS 3 but that is irrelevant to any of my agencies, however I'm on £195 per day* in long-term Maths/Science in West Yorks and aside from a few days off sick have received this continuously since Oct 2017, various schools and agencies. This high pay is because I can face working in bottom-end secondaries and my pay reflects this desperation, especially as I've only a year's experience in Science (over 20 years of Maths though).

So be prepared to haggle and ruthlessly exploit any opportunities to push your rate of pay and working conditions.

*paid through Umbrella companies, so around £125 take home.

10. Pti pimousse

Thank you all for your replies. It's definitely given me food for thought. Not on capability, just fed up with not having my weekends and evenings free as well as feeling constantly stressed and tired! Would like a more relaxed lifestyle but do need the money so may need to look at change of careers or phase before making up my mind. Thank you all.

cali13, pepper5 and agathamorse like this.
  11. Pti pimousse

Been working in primary for 11 years but am secondary trained (modern foreign languages) and would accept primary or secondary supply. Would that make a difference in terms of offers? I'm afraid I'm not sure what umbrellas companies are. Thanks

pepper5 and agathamorse like this.
  12. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

I don't think anyone on here can help you as we don't know your area, you can't trust agencies to tell you either but.........…

Go to your staff room, it must be in the same place it was when you last had time to visit it several years ago. Those strange adults in it are supply teachers, ask them and you'll get replies you can trust.

Maybe the harassed woman who arranges cover in your school might give an indication of what the school pays agencies for supply and how 'good' they are. But can you trust her enough to be honest with her?

You should do better if you can offer secondary and primary but you'll only know if you sign up with a lot of agencies and hindsight will kick in around 6 months in.

13. agathamorse

I’m also secondary MFL and have taught all ages from reception to Year 13. Being able to offer all ranges does help with day to day (£120 a day, usually primary) and long term supply( secondary MFL), but the amount of work available depends on where you are in the country. Long term supply means all the planning and marking as full time teaching but for less pay. Still you can leave if you don’t like the school.

14. agathamorse

Also go Paye as you get more of the pay. Umbrella companies charge fees and you have to pay employers and employees NI.

Ptipimousse, pepper5 and JohnJCazorla like this.
  15. agathamorse

Also I have done one primary long term and the workload was ridiculous! Hence I only do long term secondary.

16. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi

If I were you I wouldn't bother with supply teaching but rather look into a change of career. Supply work can be awful in terms of the behaviour in some schools. It is a hard and stressful job for little pay.

No. You don't want to be a supply teacher if you can help it.

17. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

If on long term contract you can get paid to scale which means throughout the year you will earn enough to cover holidays (each day is annual salary divided by 195)
    To get that however you have to be in a shortage subject and the school has to be desperate as remember they are paying the agency on top.

The bad side is that it is not pensionable through teachers pensions - I suspevtb the agency take is similar to what would have been the employers pension contribution so for the school it is cost neutral.

I was getting £198 per day from jan- July this year not through an umbrella company - I teach computer science and the school was a one man department without a man!

18. tonymars

tonymars Established commenter

I could earn about 18.5K if I did every day...

Says it all really.
    COULD and IF.
    Depends on what you need to earn... and what else you could do...

19. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

Excellent advice. Day2day Supply is no longer a viable option unless you have a decent pension or other form of income - even a rich partner!
    Longer term Supply will probably result in you doing all the work, for half the money (or less) with none of the benefits. Primary is far worse than Secondary.
    If at all possible do something else.

20. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Five years ago, I would have said supply is an o.k.option.

For me, it isn't so much the lack of work it is the huge class sizes and the challenging behaviour. Five years ago, the pay was o.k. but now in view of the cost of everything has risen, the money doesn't stretch as far.

However, on the the other hand, I am grateful for the work since it is better than nothing and there are still many people without jobs. I haven't been able to find anything else that pays as well and that is frightening in view of the cost of living.