1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Real oldtime outdoor fun

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by inky, Jul 7, 2010.

1. inky

inky Lead commenter

Forget the gradgrindian learning bit. Let's focus on fun for a change and think about how to make our little children happier.
    Damming up a brook...

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

And curses on the first person who says 'supporting learning' or some such horrible phrase that states the obvious.

3. Flicking watery paint! At each other (accidentally of course).

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

The company who designed our outdoor area (pending)
    have these images for
    water play
    [​IMG]

which is the type of play we could engage in naturally

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

Be careful that your clipboards don't get wet!

6. Ohh we could use the clipboards to make a bridge!

7. or as a paddle to help the boat float down the imaginary river to.......

8. inky

inky Lead commenter

The jungle made of mallow shrubs and buddleias that the HT might blanch at because of the threat of bee stings.

9. and would there be mud flats at the end for mud pie making?

10. Msz

I feel so fortunate
    My head planted buddleias all round school and we have long grass to crawl through and stalk our prey. We have hills to climb up and role down landing in the long grass, we have mud that sucks off your wellies and hosepipes to make rainbows ...

11. I am so jealous msz. Sounds like a perfect re-enactment of the bear hunt.

12. puddles, chalk, paintbrushes, a wall to throw a ball at, skipping ropes, chalked out hopscotch, a place to build a den, lots of sticks and stones and leaves to build campfires and cook my tea, metal climbing frames that I can hang from upside down (on top of concrete of course!) an ENORMOUS sandpit that I can sit in and build huge sandcastles and a moat (because no-one will complain if I mix the sand and water), spades, trowels, forks and rakes and the freedom to dig wherever I choose, not just in the "digging pit", worms, snails, beetles, spiders, ants, ladybirds and butterflies, places to hide - especially trees - oh and trees to climb and pretend they are horses.
    And in the real world...puddles - not likely in case a parent moans about their darling one getting wet; chalk - sometimes, paintbrushes - until the little darlings pull out all the bristles, all walls have windows, skipping ropes are dangerous, hopscotch is made out of foam, not drawn by the children, nowhere for a den, sticks, stones and leaves a health hazard, ditto climbing frames, sandpit so small even the small world people can't sit down in it, gardening tools broken or made out of plastic so break on first use (and if they are metal pose a health and safety risk) no minibeasts apart from the caterpillars sent in the post, nowhere to hide and heaven protect me should one of my class try to climb a tree - the number of risks that poses!!

Msz...where abouts are you? I would dearly love to come and visit to get inspired again!

13. I sold the greenhouse used the proceeds to buy wood to build the frame, then I freecycled the shed and now I have a sand pit big enough to bury legs or feet, big enough for 5 or 6 children at a time.......best achievement of the year!

14. perriwinkle

perriwinkle New commenter

Msz, please, please may we all come to play?
    Sounds like going to your favourite auntie's house when you were little......you know the one, who had no children of their own but a fantastic imagination and no concerns about scraped knees and dirty clothes.....sheer bliss!!

15. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Snails snails snails snails snails etc
    adn lettuce home grown lettuce. Pinch a bit and have a chew.
    Strawberries.
    Willow tree to hang off and a tyre to swing in.
    Paddling pool made from tyres and a tarpaulin. Sit down wearing your clothes
    Mud mud mud mud mud
    And bark chipping soup
    Water tap and water everywhere
    Anyone for fun?

16. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

So
    there is a God!

17. Msz

yes please

18. This reminds me of my childhood . . . . but at home, in the evenings, at the weekends . . . not at school.
    I know this will be highly controversial . . . but why do we now have to make sure the children have these experiences ? why don't parents make sure they give their children these opportunities? I know I did with my child.

19. Msz

because not all children are as fortunate as your child

20. Msz

I actually had similar experiences at my school in the 60s